Help...Can't open uPVC front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening....or Morning.

My wife and I are currently stuck in the house..............OK, slight exaggeration as we can still use the back door.

We tried to unlock the front door this evening to go to Asda when something "snapped" in the front door (It sounded like a spring).

Since then we can not not open the front door, when we push the handle down nothing happens.

When we move the handle fully up we can see the door move in a way that suggests the dead bolts or operating OK, but the little centre catch is not for budging.

I have read a few forums and they all tell me how to remove the mechanism, but only when the door is open.............This I obviously can't do.

I then thought about removing the door off its hinges, but I cannot work that one out either.

Here is a picture of 3 door hinges we have
3dir5.jpg

Can anyone give guidance on how I can open the door so that I can get at the lock, or if that is not possible, remove the door from its hinges.

On a bright side, at least we are locked in the house, and not stuck outside enjoying the bank holiday weather

Thanks in advance for any help given.

K.

Sponsored Links
You wont be able to lift that one off without opening it I'm afraid.
I would recommend getting some quotes from locksmiths/double glazing company's here as even if you manage to open it your probably going to need to find the parts pretty quickly to secure it again (some parts can be a pain to find).

It your sure its only being held by the catch it should just be a case of bending a scraper in around the door to release it. If the multipoint locking is still engaged your looking at bending and wedging the door to get tools in to bash the locks open. This is where you want someone with insurance and knowledge of what they are doing.

I have replaced a few doors where even locksmiths have killed them when trying to open them.

yes, I am 99.999999% it is just the catch.

What do you mean by "bending a scraper in"?

Is this something that I can do?

Sponsored Links
This is where you want someone with insurance and knowledge of what they are doing.

You called? (y)

Just going on the style of the hinges that looks an old door so I would imagine the gearbox has failed due to age.

Doors needs to be open as you say, OK 2 ways - 1/ see if the hinge pins will tap up, there MAY be grub screws holding them in though and can only be removed if the door is open unless brute force is used, if you can get them out then you might be able to lift the door out the frame. 2/ remove the inner panel which will give you more scope to pry open a small gap between the door sash and the frame and like gazman said maybe you could slide in a very flexible scraper in and manipulate the rollers or hooks so they release

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back