Help! Can't remove old taps from wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've attempted my first plumbing project today. Successfully replaced basin and shower taps without too much hassle. However I'm stuck with the bath tapes. I can't figure out how to get them off the wall. They are a different design to the shower taps - they have double knobs, and have washing machine connections. I've got all the knobs and other parts off, but the base sections remain. I can only think they require twisting off with brute strength, but I'm loath to e too destructive, not to mention I probably don't possess the brute. I've attached the before and after to give people an idea of my current predicament. Any suggestions before I give in and call a plumber?

Sponsored Links
Ok - So I need a couple of large grips (pliers?) and probably a very strong bloke (I haven't make it budge at all so far) Do I wrap it is a cloth or something? There isn't really anything to grip.

Sponsored Links
grips = adjustable spanner. One of your neighbours might have one.

In the meantime, of you stick the handle of the pliers into the hole that sticks out to the left and try to use this to lever downwards from, it may get it started.

Ok - So I need a couple of large grips (pliers?) and probably a very strong bloke (I haven't make it budge at all so far) Do I wrap it is a cloth or something? There isn't really anything to grip.

Cloth, well, they're coming off I presume? a few scratches probably won't matter, I suppose they only rub side is possibly kinking the pipe behind ??

Have you tried sticking a bar (such as those plier handles) in the side and twisting it?

Have you tried sticking a bar (such as those plier handles) in the side and twisting it?

To the left on one tap is the shower screen, and to the left of the other is the water spout :( So yes tried it, but there isn't space available. I'm going to have to try the hammer approach I think...

What exactly does the overall project entail?

If you're replacing the bath and having new taps which sit on it rather than the wall, then you might find it easier to cut the pipes from below, which you'll have to anyway, break open the tiles and plaster, and unscrew or lever out whatever those taps are connected to on the studwork or brick below..

No the bath is staying - I'm just replacing the taps with less hideous ones.

In which case, put the top handle back on and hit this with the hammer. I'd also suggest putting a big towel right by that shower screen to give you some hope of not sticking the hammer through it :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back