Help - Can't undo screw

SL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to undo a screw on the back of a toilet roll holder, but it just won't undo. Its a strange type of screw that looks as if it has a washer with teeth (cogs when viewing sideways) but it is one complete screw. I have already broken 5 screwdriver bits. I want to fit the other way round and don't want the grub screw at the top.

http://www.boundarybathrooms.co.uk/...114&subTypeID=1999&rangeid=29462&brandid=2341
Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't understand your description, but is it Torx screw?

The link you provide doesn't help much, unfortunately, as it's a picture of the holder and not of the screw you're trying to remove.

Is it possible to post a picture of (presumably) the back of the holder, showing the screw?

It sounds as if you are trying to disassemble the holder in order to reverse the position of the grub screw.

Have you tried removing the grub screw to see if this makes disassembly possible? And are you confident that the fixing you're attempting to remove is in fact a screw?

Can you see an appropriate bit in this set?

37470.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes, I am trying to disassemble the holder in order to reverse the position of the grub screw.

The screw head is a slot & philips combined. I have managed to undo the same type of fitting on robe hook.

Camera has just decided not to work.

The screw is a cross between a screw and bolt, the only way to do it up, is to use a screwdriver.

The underside of the fixed washer part looks like a spiral staircase, very shallow stepped. I guess this stops it from being undone.
[/quote]

Those screws are fairly commonplace. You just need to use the correct size of screwdriver to undo it.

Your washer sounds like a spring washer. Does it look like one of these?

2006060914164073499.jpg

These modulo screws should be removable with an appropriate sized slotted bit. You can buy drivers designed to fit the heads properly (some are slotted/Philips, others are slotted/Pozidrive) but for your purpose a well-fitting slotted bit should work.

However it sounds as if it's stuck fast. I'd suggest devising a way of holding and supporting the item, then using an impact driver to try to start the screw turning. Can't guarantee success, though.

Try tightening before undoing, or drill out top and replace with new screw, on a tiled surface? an impact driver with smash the tile.

softus, thats one of the finest spring washer collections, ive seen in a few years...

:rolleyes: :LOL:

I have created a my album and added a photo but don't know how to add it here. I have tried both show my images (no photo) and upload new images.

Anyway, I have damaged screw head so way way can I undo it now.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back