Help choosing a material for bookshelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'm back agian to tap the knowledge of this great forum.

I've moved into a new place and need a couple of lowish bookshelves to put my TV and hifi on. I can't see anything in the shops that is suitable so I have decided to make my own. I'm going for a simple rectangular frame with a vertical and horizontal divider in the centre to create four compartments. I'm going to paint the shelves white so would like a material with a smooth surface - like MDF - but here's the rub, I'd like the outside frame to be as thick as possible and at least 3/4" thick. If I use MDF it's going to be very expensive and damn heavy. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of wood I can use? Each shelf will be about 4' wide, 3' high and just over 1' deep - so quite large.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I'd suggest using blockboard, as it's lighter and much stiffer than MDF.

I'm afraid, though, that if you think MDF is expensive you won't like the prices of blockboard. MDF is about the cheapest sheet material you can buy, after plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back