Help choosing and positioning CCTV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I've read through other threads on this topic and so hopefully have take some of the advice on board already about avoiding very cheap systems.

My needs are for a domestic setting, probably 6 external cameras that need to work at day and night.

Option 1 and add two additional cameras

http://www.cctvdirect.co.uk/products/Silver-Enforcer-4-Camera-
Professional-CCTV-Kit.html

Option 2 is a set up they have at Costco and is made by Swann. They call it a DVR 8 2500P and iirc comes with 4 external cameras. It is £439.99 + VAT.

I'd appreciate input into which of these might be better. Costco have a great returns policy, any problems and they usually take the item straight back and refund

Also for option 1 on the website you can pay extra for 'internet' facility, what does that mean?

My second question is as to positioning. This maybe difficult to answer without seeing my house (its a largish Edwardian semi). At present we are having a loft conversion done and so I was thinking of running the wires and mounting just below the soffit boards ie just above the first floor windows. Would this be ok or is that too high?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Hello again :)

Your option 1 has only a 4ch DVR. There isnt really any way you can add additional cameras to it. Also are the cameras suitable for out side use.

Option 2 is an 8ch so you will have options to add more. But the swann products which I have looked at. Mainly indoor dome cameras which someone gave me a bag full were pretty naff, but again that is why they are cheaper than other cameras.

If you are mounting them that high up you may need to refer to the book of words that come with it as to distances. Some of the IR emitters on cameras arn't really bright enough to ligh from a great distance and you may need additional IR emitters or cameras suitable for the distance.

Also having cameras at the top of the house you may find that when you need to identify the toe rag nicking your hanging baskets all you can see is the top of his burberry cap. It all depends where you are trying to get the best picture from.

Obviously I would mount them higher than they can be reached from the ground though.

If you have the cameras already power one up and plug it into the tele, put it in the upstairs window (outside or the IR will glare off the glass) and get the misses to sneak around the garden in the dark whilst you laugh at her falling over the flower bed. and see what the image is like. Remember to turn all the lights in the house out so there is no light shining out the windoes too for a more realistic test.

Hope that helps a bit.

Rob

Forget the costco stuff - naff.

The cctvdirect kit is put together to pull in the diy'ers. Adding 'professional' to the description is a bit cheeky. That said, the are a very good company with a decent range of products.
My advice would be to look again at the indiviual parts and then ring them.

Sponsored Links
like Alumni says,
speak to cctvdirect and get individual bits of kit, and also make sure you get a good size hard drive for the dvr, dont use swann stuff, its pre diy and really not that good.

we use cctv direct for most of our kit, and it does what it says on the box, very good kit, returns are ok, (if you have to) delivery is quick and secure,

as to cabling the system, we pesonally use cat5e for all connections, as you can route it anywere (within reason, keep it away from mains cables) and us BALUNS at each end.

power supply wise,
use a unit that has multiple outlets with LED indicators for each output, because if you get a failure on one camera, cable etc, its easier to locate the failed one.

also get a decent LCD / LED VGA monitor!

Oasis

Thanks for all the replies guys. :D

Oasis, when you use the balun at the camera end I take it that the balun sits outside the building? Are there specific baluns that are used for outside?

Thanks for all the help

it depends what type of carmera and the type of baluns.

If the camera has a lead coming out then it could go into a 4inch plastic IP box and the balun in there.

They are good for CCTV indoors more than outdoors (unless you have a full housing with loads of space inside it). if you camera is designed for RG59 I would use it I know you will need to spend extra on cable but it will make a neater installation. and you can have your power supplies seperate from your DVR if required. If you buy cameras suited to the use of CAT5 (some have both) then use CAT5.

Rob

it depends what type of carmera and the type of baluns.

If the camera has a lead coming out then it could go into a 4inch plastic IP box and the balun in there.

They are good for CCTV indoors more than outdoors (unless you have a full housing with loads of space inside it). if you camera is designed for RG59 I would use it I know you will need to spend extra on cable but it will make a neater installation. and you can have your power supplies seperate from your DVR if required. If you buy cameras suited to the use of CAT5 (some have both) then use CAT5.

Rob

Now try that with the correct technical advise.

sorry not sure what a pop up monkey is.

wasn't asking for my benefit, but for Indus's benefit.

Why not do as suggested and rethink, then start again.
For one I`m bored of one shot monkeys making statements without knowledge.

Alarm, I'd appreciate if you could correct whatever issues there are with the previous advice.

I need to order the stuff in the next day or two.

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back