Help Choosing Soldering Gun For Tabs On Nicad Batteries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace some rechargeable Nicad batteries. Some need tabs soldering to them, a couple need wires attaching.

I'm aware that these batteries can go bang if you overheat them, so I think I need a reasonably powerful soldering gun to get the heat into the metal quickly.

What sort of wattage on a gun am I looking for, when choosing one for this job?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Batteries are usually available with solder tags already attached.

The solder tags are usually spot welded to the components of the cells before the cells are assembled.

So it's usually just a matter of soldering a wire to the tag on the cell, or soldering the cell tag to a printed circuit board.

We use 100Amp .............

But as already explained you will probably get away with less, because the tags are relatively easy to heat.

Safety glasses might be good

Sponsored Links
The coldheat things are useless, dry joints abound.

You really need 100W+ to pull off soldering battery tabs and you'd better have the technique right or you will ruin them. Find someone with a spot welder, preferably a proper tab welder. It'll be quicker, neater, and more reliable.

The coldheat things are useless, dry joints abound.

You really need 100W+ to pull off soldering battery tabs and you'd better have the technique right or you will ruin them. Find someone with a spot welder, preferably a proper tab welder. It'll be quicker, neater, and more reliable.

Monkeh is correct of course, spot welding is the only proper way of connection, terminal to terminal or base to top as is the case for in series. However tab to tab is a wholly different matter...pinenot :)

If they're small batteries like AA, C or D size then any small iron should do = I've used 25- 50watt irons to remove and solder wires onto battery tags without a problem.

For reference the cells used are sub "c" almost exclusive to power tool use.
As stated, by the use of tabbed cells, soldering will do no harm, the only consideration you will have to make is whether there is sufficient room to accommodate a battery remade this way within the original casing. As I have said, these tend to be tight some makes more than others, so consideration will have to be given to this.
For what it's worth I made up 1" thick mdf templates, very exacting for a one off though...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back