batterys for tools which lion nimh nicad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys what batteries for cordless tools, i have read about lion batteries there seems to be some problems with them what cordless tools powered by these batteries are having problems with the lion batteries are the nicad and nimh a better choice?

Sponsored Links
The technology is gettign better, I was very scetical about them before, I now have Makita and Dewalt Li-Ion tools and they perform brilliantly.

nicads work very well if looked after and properly cycled every few weeks
most diyers don't get round to doing this so they don't last for more than a year or so

in uk and several other countries nicads are being discontinued because they contain nickle cadmium and other poisonous metals

the way to go is definatly li-ion as they have no memmory effect and can be top up charged at any time

Sponsored Links
But be aware that like for like an 18v 3 AH Li-ion battery and an 18v 3 AH Nicad battery have different characteristics.

The Nicad is heavy.

The Li ion has less torque for powering such tools as circ saws and angle grinders and will bog out of such jobs almost immediately.

For use in impact drivers pistol drills and screw drivers you won't notice the wekaness. On saws and big Hilti sds drills Nicad is clearly an advantage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back