Which Battery?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to get a new cordless drill and have been reading threads about the different battery technologies. There seems to be people having some problems with Lithium ones, so I'm going to steer clear for the time being..

The drill won't be used 'day in, day out', but will occasionally get a lot of usage in a short time.

I've had a dewalt 14.4v with 2aH nicad's for some time which I've been pleased with power-wise...(it just didn't enjoy the long drop.. :cry: )

So which will be the more suitable battery in a replacement - Nicad or Nimh?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Well, i've just gone for the Hilti SFH 181-A, which runs on NiMH and I hope i dont regret it.

Ni-Cad definitely outperforms the Li-Ions torque / power wise.

My old 12V dewalt was way more powerful than my 18V Makita, even though it did have a shorter run time (2.6ah compared to the 3.0ah makita)

From what I read, well looked after Ni-Cads will out perform NiMh, but I just went for the NiMh becasue thats what hilti offer.

I would go for the ni-cd, best results in the long run.
when their days done shock them back to life and start again.
see my thread under tired batterys.

Sponsored Links
wholeheartedly agree with both of the above posts, my 15v Hilti pistol drill outperforms a dewalt 18v by a factor of 10, it is the best drill for 5.5 and 6.5mm masonry drilling I have ever used, Hilti seem to have discovered a formula of speed of revolutioon and non of hammer blows plus force of blow that just powers that drill into masonry faster even than an sds drill.

The dewalt gear is a load of rubbish If you gave me one I would sell it even if I got half it's cost I would consider it better to save the money towards a Hilti.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back