Nicad long term storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced a 14.4v drill/combi drill kit as the batteries are now a bit long in the tooth - the grunt is still there but the duration is probably now about 50% or less of what it was originally.

However I'd like to still be able to use them occasionally, but I'm wondering about the best way to preserve the rest of the Nicad battery life.

Would it be best to leave them as they are (semi charged), fully charged or completely out of charge and then recharge when needed?

Sponsored Links
NiCd doesn't really care much. Usual practice is to discharge.

I suggest not completely discharging, or you may end up with polarity reversal during the process.

Would a suitable discharge method be to use the fluro light I have (that also runs off the same batteries) until it turns off?

i personally prefer to discharge and charge my nicads every 3-6 months and leave charged that works for me some dewalt batteries are approaching 15 years old

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back