Rechargeable Ni-Cads

asc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a cheapo cordless drill for about five years (occasional use) and the two batteries are now about done, and won't really take a charge. If anyone knows any tricks to revitalise them I'm all ears as the drill is in good nick. To buy replacement batteries would be about the same as I paid for the drill initially, so not worth it for a five year old drill.

I'm looking at buying a replacement cheapo cordless drill and a similar jigsaw (both Ni-Cad). They both come with two batteries each, and as I would only use them occasionally I was thinking of storing two of the batteries for later use.

Can anyone tell me if they can be stored or would they be just as knackered as the ones I was using due to the time element? If they can be stored is it best to leave them in a charger (trickling) or should they be left fully charged or discharged?
I'm reluctant to consider Lithium-ion or Ni-mH as they are a bit too expensive for my usage, but if there is a strong case I might think about it.

Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
throw them away, buy new ones.

its a sad / wastefull thing to do, but once they are flat they hav had it.

you may be able to open the battery cases and change the cells, but most either have a pequiliar fixing or are welded shut

There is plenty of information on the web about revitalising ni-cad cells: see here for example.

If you do a search, you can also find people offering to re-cell battery packs. However, it might not be worth doing so in your case.

This should be posted in Tools and Materials.

I've had a cheapo cordless drill for about five years (occasional use) and the two batteries are now about done, and won't really take a charge. If anyone knows any tricks to revitalise them I'm all ears as the drill is in good nick. To buy replacement batteries would be about the same as I paid for the drill initially, so not worth it for a five year old drill.

I'm looking at buying a replacement cheapo cordless drill and a similar jigsaw (both Ni-Cad). They both come with two batteries each, and as I would only use them occasionally I was thinking of storing two of the batteries for later use.

Can anyone tell me if they can be stored or would they be just as knackered as the ones I was using due to the time element? If they can be stored is it best to leave them in a charger (trickling) or should they be left fully charged or discharged?
I'm reluctant to consider Lithium-ion or Ni-mH as they are a bit too expensive for my usage, but if there is a strong case I might think about it.

Any help would be appreciated

unused nicad batteries will suffer as will "stored" batteries

why not consider ryobi 0ne plus !!!!!
they are well thought of diy light to medium trade at 40 percent of the price of the big boys toys

if you shop around you can get a jigsaw hammer drill 2 batts and charger for £100 with over 20 other tools that fit the batteries

http://www.ryobi-direct.com/acatalog/copy_of_Drill_&_Jigsaw_Kit.html

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back