HELP Compact SL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m having problems with my Compact SL alarm system hopefully someone can assist me with before I stick a sledge hammer through it.

The basic problem is the external sounder/bell will not operate either when in an alarm condition or during the alarm tests.

I am unable to locate a manual for the compact SL system but read somewhere that a Optima XM is the same. I’m now having my doubts about this!!

I have tried a NVM reset and during this the external bell/sounder operates so I guess the problem lies inside and not at the bell box.

Hopefully someone has a link o the correct operator’s manual?? If not could somebody tell me how to sort this out?

Thanks in advance.

Suts89

Sponsored Links
Just read a few other posts and i realise i have another classic symptom.

My external sounder/bell activates when the mains is turned off :LOL: I guess this points towards a battery issue then??

Could a bad battery be the cause of all my symptoms??

Cheers

If you place a wire link between A and B of the bell conections (with the wires still in their terminals) then the outside sounder should sound.This should point to the bell and its wiring being o.k.
Then its just a matter of finding out why the panel isn't triggering the bell ( either a blown fuse or a programming issue).
Be careful around mains voltages.

If you place a wire link between A and B of the bell conections (with the wires still in their terminals) then the outside sounder should sound.This should point to the bell and its wiring being o.k.
Then its just a matter of finding out why the panel isn't triggering the bell ( either a blown fuse or a programming issue).
Be careful around mains voltages.

Thanks for that Denford i am however sure the bell/sounder does operate as when i remove the mains it activates. Also when i removed the fuse the same thing happened the bell/sounder activated.

I,m now thinking the battery might be the cause?? Hopefully i,ll pick one up tomorrow and give it a try. :confused:

Ive still been unable to locate a manual for this system

Sponsored Links
Okay popped the new battery in and still the bell dont ring :evil:

Can anyone point me in the direction of a user manual??

[
SL8 ALARM MANUAL IF YOU NEED ANY MORE INFO LET ME KNOW

net]120943/17701_79482454.jpg[/net] [/img][/url]

Hi cjrboat,

Not sure if thats a link youve posted but i cant seem to open it :confused:

Thanks very much for your help.

Did you actually try Denford1's suggestion?

The result gives more information.

No i didnt get round to shorting out A + B of the bell terminals however like i said to Denford i thought i had basically already proven the operation of the bell/sounder.(Mains + Battery power removed and bell/sounder operated).

Europlex do you have a link to the correct manual?

Thanks all.

No i didnt get round to shorting out A + B of the bell terminals however like i said to Denford i thought i had basically already proven the operation of the bell/sounder.(Mains + Battery power removed and bell/sounder operated).

Thanks all.
You have NOT proven the complete operation of the bell.

As you do not understand how this should all work I suggest you get an alarm company to test & repair for you.

Thanks all.
You have NOT proven the complete operation of the bell.

As you do not understand how this should all work I suggest you get an alarm company to test & repair for you.

Hmm, i could have sworn the bell was making a kind of 2 tone, high low pitched sound when i removed the power from the panel, i thought this kind of proved the actual operation of the bell?

You are correct i do not fully understand how "this should all work" hence the reason i,m on this forum trying to gain a better understanding.

Please could you explain to me how i go about proving the complete operation of the bell? As mentioned previously i tried to activate the bell using the "alarm test" instructions from an OPTIMA XM manual without success! Is the OPTIMA XM comparible to my system?

Thanks again

Thanks all.

the manual is going to be no help to you.

do you even have a test meter?

Thanks all.

the manual is going to be no help to you.

do you even have a test meter?

Yes i do have a test meter, can you help?

Your bellbox can operate from its own supply (as you have proved by removing the battery and mains from your panel) or from a switched negative from the panel , this can be simulated by placing the link as instructed .Because your bell sounds when the battery / mains is removed , this proves that you are at least getting hold off voltage at the box , all you have to do is supply a sw-neg , if it sounds you know for sure that the bell and its cable is ok , and you can then find out why the panel is not supplying a sw-neg.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back