Help!! Creaking, cracking, shuddering noise with passing busses.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Bit of a morbid first post but hey ho.

Recently moved into a little two bed stone built ex miners end terrace on a row of four built circa 1840 on clay soil. Had lots of work done over the years some bodged some not so much.

I'm having a serious problem with double decker busses passing approx 3 meters from the front door. I'd expect a certain amount of vibration but but as these tail of what I'm also getting is a horrendous jolt/ shudder coming from bedroom ceiling. Sounds like a loud creaking/ cracking sound. It's only recently when I've been in during the afternoon I have got to witness this and narrow it down to the ceiling.

My question is what is my next course of action and has anyone come across this before? I'm going to have a good look around the loft at the weekend but some ideas of what I'm looking for would be greatly appreciated as It's got me worried sick that the place is going to be a ruin by the time I've got back from work!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There are two possibilities, one is vibration through the ground amd the other is a pressure wave in the air pushed aside by the bus.

If the road surface in smooth with no pot holes or bumps then vibration through the ground is unlikely to be the cause of the movement causing creaking.

Unless the busses are travelling very slowly ( less than say 15 MPH ) a pressure wave is the likely cause. Especially if there are no soffits fitted. The pressure wave would get into the attic space and cause a pressure differential between attic and bedroom and thus a downward deflection of the ceiling. If the eves of the roof are open then there would be nothing to stop the pressure wave getting into the attic.

You may be able to verify it as possibly a pressure wave effect if there is a large window opening facing the road. Try and compare the creak with window open to the creak with window shut. With the window open the pressure wave will get into both attic and room so the diffential on the ceiling willl be less tham with the window closed and the creak may be less.

Thank you for your reply Bernard!

What you have said makes a lot of sense and something I will defiantly investigate. I occasionally hear it on the living room ceiling when I am downstairs and this may well be when the sash window is open facing the road.

It is also much worse when they are traveling at speed which would align with what you are saying.

Thanks again for your input.

Sponsored Links
Is anyone able to add to this?

The loft has no insulation or boarding so if I was to do this I presume it would dampen the deflection?

Or am I better improving ventilation?

Thanks in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back