Upstairs floorboards creaking causing cracks in downstairs ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder if anyone can give any suggestions. Moved into a ground floor maisonette about 5/6 months ago. The entire property was originally a house built in the mid 50s then separated into two flats.

I believe upstairs has floorboards however no insulation has been put in as you constantly hear the neighbour upstairs moving about. (I even hear him flush his toilet and washing machine vibrates into our ceiling).

More recently, cracks in our ceiling that my dad filled in before we moved in have reappeared. They are vertical. 2 run across our hallway ceiling and another across the length of our kitchen ceiling and another coming out from the middle of that line and running to the coaving.

I'm not sure what to do. Is this something to be concerned about or is it just cosmetic? The individual living upstairs does not own the property but would it be wise to speak to them first and voice our concerns rather than going straight to the landlord?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
A problem with a lot of conversions like this I believe.

Contacting neighbour always a good start but not a lot he can do about much of what you refer to.

Blup

It would almost certainly be cosmetic, old houses can be built with thinner joists than nowadays, and sometimes they have been hacked about by trades people.
There's not A lot anyone can do other than relaying the floor to modern standards.
If it's the noise that's bothering you there are possibilities of isolating the joists and flooring or false ceiling, but both would cause disruption and cost.
We had our floor up for renovations and strengthened it with plywood and strutting, which has reduced cracking in the ceiling below, but that was only worthwhile due to the ongoing works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back