Downstairs ceiling lights shine through upstairs floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I ripped out the carpet from upstairs bedroom and uncovered pretty nice old hardwood floorboards. While kneeling down and preparing the floorboards for sanding (punching nails etc), I noticed light coming out through the gaps of the floorboards. Soon I realised that I have halogen bulbs in downstairs hallway that are installed in ceiling, and the back side of the bulbs shine through the gaps. The gaps are not too big (1-3mm) but it is enough for the light to come through. Moreover, I am worried about safety – how will I wipe the floor if the water drops onto light instalment? Should I drop my idea to restore a beautiful floor and put some cheapish laminate on top? :(

Sponsored Links
Why would you want to use water on a wooden floor? If the need for thorough cleaning exists, always use a well wrong out cloth.

Are you saying this is normal? I usually clean the floor with damp cloth or sponge and if the floor is well covered with varnish, it does not affect the floor. But if any liquid drop goes onto light instalation (water from the cloth, spilled cup etc) I might be in problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back