Help creating a non smooth emulsion finish / fine textured

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since a repair i carried out to our stairs wall and then skimmed the repaired area the wall finish was smooth

When painting using Dulux emulsion the colour match is good but the difference in surface finish is too smooth compared to the main part of the wall and stands out

The main finish on the rest of the wall is a very mild orange peel look, as i do not want to finish the whole wall my question is

1. how can i paint emulsion and have a very slight textured orange peel finish ?

i have tried a paint pad and dabbed at the repair to "lift" the paint to create and it nearly worked !

What would be the better way to match the finish

Incidently the repaired area has direct light falling on it and as a smooth finish stands out badly

Please help if you can

Sponsored Links
I should send my brother-in-law round. he can achieve any amount of orange peel by laying the paint on really thick with a crap long pile roller sleeve.
Magnificent!

Thanks its not every day you get a request for a non smooth finish !

The finish i am after is not exactly orange peel more a textured finish but very fine textured

I guess under normal wall painting the roller would lift the paint to create the effect, when i go over the skimmed area it dries very flat, too flat !!

Any ideas ?

use a long woven roller, roll a coat on but dont roll out. let set up for a while and then run the roller over it again, this should add a bit of stipple which will dry as orange peel

I take it you used dulux retail paint which is designed to dry out smooth however applied

the wall was probaby originally coated with a trade paint which was used too thick to flow leaving a roller stipple

Sponsored Links
Thank you that is very likely the case, some of the rooms and very smooth, the hallway and stairs are a textured finish all be it very slight

I will try the trick suggested with the roller and see if that helps

I have always been happy with my skills with emulsion but this was getting me down as its so obvious a different finish because of the skim coat ( the patch repair area is approx 3ft x 2ft )

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back