Help! Damp cause by neighbours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Side surface is like in the pcitrues. It's sami detached house. In the picture left hand side is my house where I have damp and right side is my neighbours raised backyard and driveway can be seen in attached pictures.

Neighbours are nightmare and not helpful.

Is this riased level in neighbours property cause damp in my house?
What are my options?
How can I overcome damp situation?

Please help.

Thank You

Attachments

• IMG_20240324_105834.jpg
    IMG_20240324_105834.jpg
    608.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20240324_105820.jpg
    IMG_20240324_105820.jpg
    645.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20240324_105759.jpg
    IMG_20240324_105759.jpg
    723.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20240324_105804.jpg
    IMG_20240324_105804.jpg
    705.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20240324_105749.jpg
    IMG_20240324_105749.jpg
    498.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20240324_105751.jpg
    IMG_20240324_105751.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
I don't see the raised level you refer to, maybe you mean the path slopes towards your wall. Whatever, you need to check where your dpc is in relation to ground floor level, ideally around 150mm above it. And that it is not damaged so as to allow damp in. The gravel should help absorb any run off.

I can see some of the slope of their front drive, and I would think it depends on the slope of the rest of the drive. I would expect it to mainly drain toward the road, rather than your driveway. If that is not the case, and there is excessive water draining on to your driveway, I suggest you contact the appropriate department of your local auhtority. I understand it's an offence to drain one's surface water towards a neighbour's property.
It would epend on the amount of surface water concerned.

Basically., all of the above refers to the slope of their backyard. It all depends on the amount of surface water concerned, and the direction of the slope of their ground level.

As above.

I cannot see anything wrong that your neighbour has done. The pathway looks pretty old.

Again, as above, bricks below the damp proof course will be wet regardless of what your neighbour has done with their garden.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your valuable input.

So what treatment is good in my case? I see rasing damp/mould inside my home.

Thank you for your valuable input.

So what treatment is good in my case? I see rasing damp/mould inside my home.

Your DPC should be lower than the ground floor joists in your home. It should be lower to prevent moisture wicking up to the timber. You will need to use a tape measure to check. I am not sure how tall your joists are. Given the age, I would guess 10 or 12" but I am only guessing

In the absence of a functioning DPC, water can, through capillary action, travel up through certain types of bricks and the mortar.

Can you take photos of the interior wall?

Sometimes, suspected rising damp turns out to be condensation. An easy way to test is to tape some bacofoil to the interior of the exterior wall.

If you notice moisture on the surface of the foil in the room, it is likely to be condensation rather than rising damp.

Hopefully, with photos and more info, someone more knowledgeable than me will be able give you more sound advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back