Help! Damp problem after replastering -Have I been an idiot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please! I think my enthusiasm may have exceeded my ability and I've been a bit silly, but I wanted to check...

Summary: Delapidated apartment. Moved in as a 'fixer upper'. Stripped wallpaper back. Found the plaster behind crumbling. Sanded it down,removed rotten plaster, replastered, then wallpapered.

Should I have glossed the plaster before I re-wallpapered ?

Details: I'm having a damp problem. Big spreading stain with mould creeping in through the new wallpaper. Now, I KNOW there is a problem with the roof that needs to be dealt with, but my real question is: Have I made it worse by missing something ?

An aquaintance mentioned 'glossing' in conversation the other day and I wondered if I should have 'sealed' the wall after plastering (that seems logical, but my DIY experience isn't up to referencing it.) All I did was plaster, then slap an anti-mould coat on followed by paper.

I've spoken to the landlord about the roof and I'm planning to strip it all back to get rid of the damage + mould, but I DON'T want to repeat the same mistake if I've made one.

Please help? [/u]

Sponsored Links
You have to fix the roof first, Forget the rest of it until you have.

Thanks Joe, but it's not my roof. Believe me, I have practically read the rights to the landlord. I was more worried about having contributed to the problem?

Woot. I've had a nice comprehensive answer on this one from FB. Thanks anyway, guys.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't mean it's right though.

If you can offer better advice, I'd appreciate it Joe ? The advice I recieved was that it's not essential to always seal after plastering, but that having a leaking roof means that it wouldn't make any difference anyway and there's certainly no point in sealing it now. The best it would have done was hide the problem.

There was actually more to it than that, but those seemed to be the most important bits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back