Help diagnose failing gas oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First up, I'm not planning on repairing the thing myself. I'll repeat that - I'm not planning on repairing the gas oven, or any other gas device, myself. I'm looking to see what the likely cause of failure is so I can decide whether to get a repair guy out, or just buy a new oven. Thanks!

It's an old Stoves Newhome built-under gas double-oven. It struggles to light, and outright will not light while the circuit it is on is under high load (i.e. washing machine, shower and/or kettle are running). When I try to light it, which when it works, still happens automatically (no fumbling around with matches at the back of the oven), the fan will start up, the spark will start sparking, and then the fan will suddenly cut out, the gas will cut out, and the spark will continue indefinitely (mocking me). The ideas I have for why this might be are basically some sort of failing safety device, otherwise no clue. (If I turn it on very briefly, then off, the fan will start and continue on it's normal 10-minute cooldown (whereas if I try to light it the fan will cut out immediately), so I don't think there is any problem with the fan.)

When it lights, which it seems to do after a bit of coaxing (trying once every few minutes for 10-15 minutes), almost as if it needs warmed a little for some mechanical parts to loosen up (sheer speculation, no real evidence for this idea), it will automatically shut off after around 20 minutes. The only idea I have after a LOT of Googling is that the 'control' part of the burner, like, the bit that keeps the burner going on low once the oven is at the right temperature, is blocked. I don't know where this is to try blasting it with compressed air, and I'm not convinced that's a bright idea anyway.

So there it is - likely a simple unblock of a burner bypass & replacement of a dodgey supply valve? Or should I bin it and just buy a new oven? Any other tests I can do to save myself a bit of time when the gas man comes over? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
As I imagine you know, as you've googled, this forum bans ANY gas advice.
But I liked the bit about trying to save "time";)

Hmm, apologies. I assumed, since I've just read a thread about gas ovens on this forum, that it would be okay. And everyone knows time and money are the same thing ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back