HELP! Digital Thermostat replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing my Thermostat with a Honeywell Digital, and found that at the back there are 1 Red, 1 Blue, 1 Yellow and an earth. On the new digi thermostat it only shows where the Live, and Neutral plugs in and nothing for the yellow, nor it hasn't got an earth connection... Can anybody help with what I need to do??

Sponsored Links
I'm replacing my Thermostat with a Honeywell Digital, and found that at the back there are 1 Red, 1 Blue, 1 Yellow and an earth. On the new digi thermostat it only shows where the Live, and Neutral plugs in and nothing for the yellow, nor it hasn't got an earth connection... Can anybody help with what I need to do??

Need some more info :!:

1. Which Honeywell stat have you bought?
2 Do you have a combi boiler or a Hot water cylinder with one or two motorized valves?
3Where do the other end of the stat wires end up?

The yellow wire is probably the switched live from the stat back to the wiring centre. But need the info above to verify this.

Most modern stats are made of plastic and double insulated, so they do not need an earth. Just wrap the bare end in insulating tape and hide it behind the stat.

Hi Thanks for your reply... Info Below

1. Which Honeywell stat have you bought? - It is the DT200
2 Do you have a combi boiler or a Hot water cylinder with one or two motorized valves? - I have a Hot water Cylinder, how do I check the number of valves?
3Where do the other end of the stat wires end up? - No idea?

1. Which Honeywell stat have you bought? - It is the DT200
2 Do you have a combi boiler or a Hot water cylinder with one or two motorized valves? - I have a Hot water Cylinder, how do I check the number of valves?
3Where do the other end of the stat wires end up? - No idea?

Can you see your pump? If so, the pipe will divide in two after the pump. One branch goes to the HW cylinder, the other to the rads. There will either be one valve (left pic) at the junction, or two valves (right pic), one in each branch.

6tk9sub.jpg
6pt65xc.jpg

If you have the valve on the left, it will have a multicore cable attached. Find where the white core is connected. If the yellow wire from the stat is connected to the same point it is the switched live.

If you have two valves, as per right pic, find the one which goes to the rad. It will have a multicore cable. Trace the brown core. the Yellow wire from the stat should connect to the same point.

Click this link for DT200 Instructions

You will see that the DT200 does not need a Neutral so this wire can be wrapped in insulationg tape and hidden behind the stat.

That leaves two wires: Red connects to terminal A; Yellow to terminal B.[/url]

Sponsored Links
As PER D HAILSHAM DT200 does NOT have a neutral or need one your red will be live in and yellow live out.

So red to A and yellow to B dont use blue or earth

Many thanks to you all, I will have a look at the number of valves things too... Learn something new everyday!

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back