Help!!!!! Dimmer Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I need your help. We have recently had a summer house built with the electrics installed. All the wires for the lights and sockets run round the inside of the summer house inside those plastic white concealers (sorry, dont know their proper names) We have decided to fit a dimmer switch which I thought would be straight forward. I unscrewed the exsisting light fitting and it had 2 brown wires going into it. The 2 blue wires were connected into a seperate block that goes no where and the 2 earth wires both go into the earth terminal in the light switch wall mounting. I dont know which ones to connect to which terminals in the dimmer switch. I have a live terminal marked as C and a Nuetral terminal marked as L1. I did try connecting one brown wire into L1 and one to C. The light did work but I could not dim it? Did I havew them connected the wrong way round or do I need to do something else?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The two browns to the C and L1 should work, either way around.

What type of light is it? What wattage?

It is a chandelier style light with 5 stems on it with 60w light bulbs in it. Does this help?

Thanks for your reply by the way

Hello.

What is the power 'rating' of the dimmer ?
What type of lamps do you have ? Filament ??

Regards
Ed

Sponsored Links
It is a chandelier style light with 5 stems on it with 60w light bulbs in it.
300 watts of lighting.

What is the rating of the dimmer? Many are only 250W, in which case the dimmer has probably been damaged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back