Help! Do I need a new heat exchanger unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Ideal Response 120 combi boiler has been suffering constantly dropping pressure for some time now and we thought this was because of the PRV. On Sunday though, the boiler started dripping underneath from multiple points and now won't fire up. An engineer took one look at it and said the heat exchanger unit needs replacing but this is expensive and I'm not convinced that is the problem as I've never heard of this part on any forums before. Is he right? He didn't even try to start it up and said if the PRV needs changing too they will do that when they get the heat exchanger unit in. This will take 7-10days....!

Sponsored Links
i thought the h/e's on these were no longer available? maybe it was wishful thinking.

its a common enough problem for them to burst. and there is no way of anyone on here knowing if he is telling the truth or not. the prv is not important and is easy enough with the right access.

im going to take a wild guess and say the bloke you had round was from british gas?

As far as I am aware the HE is no longer available.

Its hardly worth opening it up when water is pouring out and it wont fire!

Its new boiler time!

Last time I heard the HE was about £300 to buy and two hours to fit.

It was a good idea but the HE has turned out to be a disaster!

Tony

Sponsored Links
7-10 days gives the impression its a BG job and she wont be paying.

there were two h/e's for these and one might have been made longer then the other. maybe this engineer is unfortunate enough to find the last one on the shelf.

thanks for your replies. the diagnosis was made by an Ideal boiler engineer, not British Gas. Ideal are ordering a new HE which has to be made as it's an old boiler and the part isn't mass produced anymore. Thats what they are saying anyway. I have paid for the part now and am awaiting a call to say when they will be coming round.
I know a new boiler is on the cards sooner or later but as I've already paid them £180 and now another charge for the HE, it's worth getting them to fix the HE and any other faults causing the low pressure/ignition failure or else my money has gone to waste. My main concern was whether I was paying to have a part fixed that wasn't the cause of the problem but from what you've said it is the HE that's faulty. There isn't water 'pouring' out of it just dripping slowly from different points. Is it true that the source of the drips can only be from the HE?

If we start researching for a new combi boiler which do you recommend? They have to be condensing now don't they?

there were two h/e's for these and one might have been made longer then the other. maybe this engineer is unfortunate enough to find the last one on the shelf.

The heat exchanger for these is very much still available unfortunately.

We have 88 on contract in 1 apartment block, so far approx half have been replaced and its only a matter of time until the rest need changing.

thanks for your replies. the diagnosis was made by an Ideal boiler engineer, not British Gas. Ideal are ordering a new HE which has to be made as it's an old boiler and the part isn't mass produced anymore. Thats what they are saying anyway. I have paid for the part now and am awaiting a call to say when they will be coming round.
I know a new boiler is on the cards sooner or later but as I've already paid them £180 and now another charge for the HE, it's worth getting them to fix the HE and any other faults causing the low pressure/ignition failure or else my money has gone to waste. My main concern was whether I was paying to have a part fixed that wasn't the cause of the problem but from what you've said it is the HE that's faulty. There isn't water 'pouring' out of it just dripping slowly from different points. Is it true that the source of the drips can only be from the HE?

If we start researching for a new combi boiler which do you recommend? They have to be condensing now don't they?

i still say you are throwing good money after bad. it will go wrong again and probably soon.
try a search on the forum for what boiler to choose next, there are plenty of opinions.

We have 88 on contract in 1 apartment block, so far approx half have been replaced and its only a matter of time until the rest need changing.

i think the early ones are NLA, the later ones seem to be special order so hopefully it wont be long before they are NLA too.

ive got a few blocks around here with them in and have done 10 or so myself. its not a hard job but time consuming, the flue is often the worst bit.

i think the early ones are NLA, the later ones seem to be special order so hopefully it wont be long before they are NLA too.

ive got a few blocks around here with them in and have done 10 or so myself. its not a hard job but time consuming, the flue is often the worst bit.

Ive so far managed to avoid having to change one! Changed most other parts on them though.

I also heard they were being "made to order" which sounds slightly ridiculous as such. Made in China maybe! But otherwise yes.
In theory BG would fit a new hex in their fixed price repair.

Not a great boiler. Output is good but control isn't, and they bang, and have several other common faults.

I am sure they cast em at Ideal HQ (if they still have their furnace that is)

I thought you couldnt get em for love nor money now??

I have two in the shed now ordered for very very senisble clients who have changed their minds and gone for a new boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back