Help - DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a question around the clearance levels and materials around the DPC. This is the final enquiry outstanding for our house purchase and this worries me as I am unclear. I have confused myself having read so much around the subject lol!

The survey identified there was not enough clearance below the DPC on one side of the house. Slabs were butted up against the house, right against the DPC. We were assured by the sellers this was fine because there was gravel underneath the slabs and so this allowed for drainage. This goes against what I read and so I asked for the slabs to be cut, this was around 5cm, leaving a gap between the slab and wall. Whilst inspected the work, we could not see any gravel and in fact found hard concrete in places and what i believe is sand in places.

The sellers have stated now stated there is no hard concrete against the wall and there is a sand and gravel mix and have sent us some pics (three below). What are your thoughts on this. Still looks like hard cement to me against the wall. Also, what would be the remedy, could we just sort this ourselves easily? I would really appreciate some advice on this :)

At the from of the house, there is grass and this sits slightly under the DPC and so I am thinking I need to dig a small gully out and can fill it with gravel.

Oh, the house was build around 1950, unsure if this info is required.

MANY THANKS

Sponsored Links
The usual requirement of 150mm between the dpc and finished ground level is to ensure that water doesn't splash up on the wall above the dpc.

Not quite so critical if it's a cavity wall, and if the bricks are of reasonable quality, but wouldn't do any harm to lower the immediate ground level.

Certainly a diy job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back