1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Help - emulsion paint on tiled floor

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by JCH, 10 Dec 2008.

1. JCH

JCH

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have just finished decorating the conservatory. Thought I had been careful but there are various emulsion paint stains on the tiled floor. Have tried removing with warm water which removed the top layer. Has anyone any ideas on how I can get more of the stain out? (before my husband sees them in daylight at the weekend!!)

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Bilioustrumpstaine

Bilioustrumpstaine

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What sort of tiles are we talking about. If they are ceramic glmazed tiles it should be easy if they are natural unsealed tiles the pigment of the paint could soak into the surface.

4. GUSS

GUSS

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    i would suggest you try white spirit or paint brush cleaner, before you apply to the stain try the solvent on a spare piece of tile just to make sure no further staining occurs. Are the tiles glazed/faced or quarry tiles?

5. Diyisfun

Diyisfun

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Emulsion paint, soap, water, scrubbing brush, elbow grease

6. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Don't use white spirit , not suitable for emulsion and may permanently stain grout.As Diyisfun suggests and a green kitchen scourer also helps.

7. JCH

JCH

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The tiles are quarry tiles, thus the paint is engrained.

8. Sponsored Links
  9. Diyisfun

Diyisfun

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There isnt a solvent for emulsion that has set

10. Symptoms

Symptoms

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    JCH - cellulose thinners will readily soften emulsion paint. A few drops on the offending spots, leave it to soften the paint, scrape/scour/wipe off. Then rub that whole tile with a rag damp (not dripping) with a little thinners.

Cellulose thinners is available in 5L, 2┬ŻL (clearly too big for you) or very small cans (you can get these in B&Q I think).

11. Madmog

Madmog

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your comments. I've tried white spirit which didn't work, so I will give the cellulose thinner ago, unless anyone still thinks they have a better idea.

12. Bilioustrumpstaine

Bilioustrumpstaine

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Try the green pad and then if that doesn't work try some fine wire wool.

You can get fine wire wool from a decorators merchant, probably not from the sheds. Cellulose thinners in a small 250ml tin from a car accessory shop.

Try a drop of boiling water straight from the kettle. (I have rescued a few paint brushes this way :) )

Good Luck

13. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    methylated spirits softens emulsion paint and does not smell much or damage most things. It will harden again when it dries, so mix with washing-up liquid and dab it on with a paintbrush. dab on some more to keep it soft. From time to time rub it with a nylon scourer to see if it is soft enough.

The washing-up liquid also makes it easy to wash off.

14. towellsi

towellsi

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    ive got the perfect solution and i swear by them. industrial wipes or gorrila wipes you get from a builers mechant. i used to get customers that couldnt remove marks or stains with ciff and other strong products but i used the industrial wipes and they work a treat, and they wont harm you tiles, or your hands. i use them every day to get oil based paint off my hands, even gets the silicone off my hands and thats water proof.

15. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local