HELP! Engine Management light on Corsa C 1.0 12v 2003

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am new to this site and am having real trouble with my Corsa. The Engine light is on and has been for about a year. The car drives perfectly well with no difference from fuel economy or flat spots on the performance, but now I need to sell the vehicle so need to get the light switched off permanently. I have taken it to a garage to hook it up to a code reader; i dont know the code but they told me it was something to do with the lambda sensor on the exhaust. When I bought the car it had a back section performance exhaust & the mechanic seemed to suggest that this could be causing the problem, therefore I changed the back section for a standard one and had the light switched off at the garage again, but within starting the car 2 or 3 time after, the light came back on again. I took it to another garage and had it diagnosed again. This time they told me that there was a slight misfire coming from cylinder 1 and suggested i change the spark plugs, ignition coil pack and air filter, which i have done, but the light still stays on. I have not taken it back to the garage to have the light switched off, but someone told me that if i disconnected the battery for a few minutes this would reset the sensors, therefore doing the same job as asking the garage to turn the light off with their machine. Does anyone know if this is true or does it need to be turned off with a machine? Once i reconnect the battery, the light stays off again until I have started the vehicle 2 or 3 times, then comes back on as before. Having changed all these parts and still experiencing this problem, can anyone help me or give me some advise as to what to look for? I have got to a point where I am pulling my hair out!! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Kevin

If the problem of the misfiring No 1 cylinder has been sorted, then I would change the lambda sensor, don't do too many things at the same time.

A misfire will result in poor emmisions and a fault will be indicated.

Wotan

Hi Kevin

If the problem of the misfiring No 1 cylinder has been sorted, then I would change the lambda sensor, don't do too many things at the same time.

A misfire will result in poor emmisions and a fault will be indicated.

Wotan

Thanks for your reply

The misfire on cylinder 1 was detected on a code reader but the car shows no sign of a misfire when starting, driving or tick over, so by driving it i cant tell if is sorted, they advised me to change the coil pack to sort this, i have changed this but still the light comes back on. What else could cause a misfire in cylinder 1 so slight that you cant notice it ?

Your misfire could be one of a number of factors:
1) Spark plug 2) Coil pack 3) Fuel injector issue 4) Compression issue.
Personally I would consider (3) as the others seem to have been ruled out!
The management lamp will also be on if there is a lambda sensor problem.
John :)

Sponsored Links
sometimes the fault code can be misleading thats why a lot of people get it wrong. you will need to take it somewhere that has the knowledge and disgnostics to look at live data (the switching of the sensors as the engine is running), if the lambda sensor isnt switching correctly they should be able to see it

sometimes the fault code can be misleading thats why a lot of people get it wrong. you will need to take it somewhere that has the knowledge and disgnostics to look at live data (the switching of the sensors as the engine is running), if the lambda sensor isnt switching correctly they should be able to see it

Thanks for your reply, ive been to the garage today and run a test and the fault code that came up was p0141 does anyone know what this means ?

the corsa doesnt like universal type hego sensors. the resistance of the heater coil needs to be spot on or you will get p0141 code. if you replace the hego sensor try to get an ngk/ntk sensor with the correct plug on. never had any bother with these.

dave

edit: hego sensor - heated exhaust gas oxygen sensor aka lambda sensor.

Sponsored Links
Back