HELP! Filling large holes to then tile over / Grouting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'd really appreciate some advice for a couple of novice DIYers!!

We pulled away the tiles (about 6 normal sized tiles) above our sink in the bathroom and subsequently, pulled away chunks of wall, leaving crumbling plasterboard. So the area now is basically a big uneven hole! We want to tile over this, what would people recommend as the best method of filling this hole? Suggestions I've received from family and friends have ranged from filling the hole with newspaper then putting plasterboard over it, to cementing! The most sensible advice I've heard is to get one of those foaming plaster sprays to fill the gap, then plastering over.

Also, any tips on grouting to ensure mould doesn't set in later? And when should we clean the grouting off (and how)? I've heard within ten minutes after applying it is the best time.

looking forward to the replies! Many thanks, Tracy
:D

Sponsored Links
If youve got a big gougesholes in the board that dont go all the way through then do this:-

go to a good decorating merchants/ builders merchants or somewhere like wickes and get a small bag of plasterboard jointing compound. Its basically like a plaster that sets quickly (gyproc gypfill is the best IMHO) and is easy to work and sand down. That will aloow you to patch the palsterboard to get a decent smooth surface to tile on. Most of the other options youve listed there wont work, as you want a decent surface that will adhere to the plasterboard.

If you gone through the plasterboard then get a small piece of plasterboard and cut it to slightly bigger than the hole you want to fill. Place it over the hole and then with a sharp stanley knife cut around it sio it fits exactly. then put a small piece of batten through the hole and place it across the back of the hole and screw through the good plasterboard each side into the batten. You now should have a piece of wood going across the hole which you can now screw the piece you cut to, to fill the hole. You can now tile across it.

As for the grout, depends on what make you are using. Personally i never use the ready made stuff its pants. i use the stuff you need to mix up, and wait till its formed a haze on the tiles and then start to sponge off and polish up with a dry cloth. Make sure its a wateerproof grout

With regards to the grout and mould. The mould will not grow on grout, what it does is grow on the fats from soap etc. The only way I am sorry to say is clean the joints regularly. Epoxy is the only water proof grout, all cement based grouts are only water resistant and are damaged by bleach etc. Hope this helps TracyA

Ty :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back