Help fitting a heavy oak door to a cabin/fancy shed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently started converting a shed into a garden office. It's been slow going but one of the first things I did was order a new door as my cats could claw through the one that came with the cabin.

I ordered a bespoke ledged and braced oak door (bespoke as its and odd size) which turned up yesterday. It's beautiful but weighs a flipping ton!

The old door is fitted with a piano hinge which I can't reuse as there is nothing to fit it to on most of the new door. I was thinking of using 3x heavy duty T hinges with coach bolts. Will these be ok? I was going to get galvanised ones and spray them white.

Also ideas for heavy duty security lock?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your replies.

I went with T-Hinges and Coach bolts which works fine except the door is slightly warped.

We're always happy to help.

Seriously though, shame on the forum or not bending over backwards to help you out in your hour of need especially when those who have replied to your posts in the past have been so gratefully rewarded/acknowledged. Maybe you should write to the owners to complain?

Sponsored Links
you need to use brass/stainless steel against oak otherwise the tannin in the oak will react rot the metal over time and cause black streaks

on the wall the door hangs is there any bracing or sheet wood material

you need to use brass/stainless steel against oak otherwise the tannin in the oak will react rot the metal over time and cause black streaks

on the wall the door hangs is there any bracing or sheet wood material

Thanks, I didn't know that. I will order some stainless steel ones ASAP and replace the current ones. You don't happen to know a good source for stainless steel or brass as I can't find much online.

This is the door as it is now:

2wfn1wo.jpg

- sorry that pic is sideways for some reason -

Also my next task after refitting the hinges will be to fit a night lock (something like this - http://www.screwfix.com/p/yale-night-latch-bs-polished-chrome-40mm/55402) is that possible on a L&B door?

Here is a view of where I was going to fit it. There is 40mm to work with:

11qjv2q.jpg

Any hints on other security options?

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back