Help fitting monoblock kitchen tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
Need a little help......

I'm in the process of replacing a kitchen tap.
It's a monoblock type. It came with flexihoses (I'm assuming these are 15 mm??).
The hot flex screws on to the hot feed isolation valve no problem.

But the cold flex pipe needs to go on to a T junction. Problem is, the flexihose wont screw on to the T junction.

Thinking the T juction thread is 1/2 inch so I bought a 1/2 inch to 15mm coupler but even that doesn't go on to the T junction.
Next I bought a 3/4 inch to 15mm coupler, but that just fits straight over the top of the T junction fitting!!

So how do I connect my flexihose onto the T junction? Is there some other kind of coupler that I need?

Sponsored Links
The monobloc flexes are generally 10mm bore. But the female end (nut) is 15mm. This can be fitted by using a 15mm compression coupler or tee.
You will need 15mm tube to compress to though.
Do you have any pictures to show?

Have you got the room to fit another isolation valve on the cold between the tee and the flexi?

Just uploaded a couple of images.

There might be enough room to fit a second isolation valve after the juction.
But what size is the nut?

Looking at the pic, you can see two pipes. The one with the isolation valve alone is fine and flexihose goes on no problem.

But the pipe with the isolation valve and T junction in series is my problem.
What size is the thread on the junction?

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Can you see my pics? Not sure I've done it right?

Was thinking of replacing the T but was hoping there might be some kind of coupler available that would minimise my effort (don't like plumbing work, it's a skill that I was definitely not issued with!!! LOL).

OK so if I'm to replace the T junction, how do I clean up the existing pipework so as to get a good tight fit with the new Tee?

Is there some kind of braid I need to rub the pipes down with?

The trouble with fitting a new T coupler will be getting the old nuts and olives off the pipe, you need to do that as the old nuts won't fit the new T.

Loosen the nuts and remove the old T. Buy an olive puller to remove the old olives and remove them and the old nuts. Clean up the pipe where the old olives were with a green scourer or wire wool/brillo pad if you have one. dry off. put the new nuts on and then the olives and tighten up.
Jobs a guddun :)

Tip: don't overtighten the new flexi-pipes onto the fittings, hand tight then a 1/4 turn, overtighten and you can easily burst the rubber washer.

So you're saying to fit a new tee, right?

Was going to get a pipe cutter and cut off old section of pipe, but then I guess that might leave me a bit short.
Olive pullers are 20 pounds from toolstation. Will that do?

Never used one so wondering if they actually damage the pipe in removing the olive?

So you're saying to fit a new tee, right?

Was going to get a pipe cutter and cut off old section of pipe, but then I guess that might leave me a bit short.
Olive pullers are 20 pounds from toolstation. Will that do?

Never used one so wondering if they actually damage the pipe in removing the olive?

Sorry, thought it had already been decided to replace the T.

The olive puller shouldn't damage the pipe, no. You can always try and twist the olives off with a pair of pliers or vise grips but more risk in damaging/ovaling the pipe. A junior hacksaw can be used too, cut through most of the olive then a flat bladed screwdriver into the cut and twist to snap it off but again be careful.

Ok so new tee it is.

I've seen the method of cutting into the olive and then using a flat blade driver to split it open but the was demonstrated on a work bench.
Will be difficult to do that in situ I feel so will try and get a puller tomorrow.

Thanks for the support guys. Will report back how I get on.
(I hate plumbing).
:)

Won't be able to get hacksaw on to the pipe going out through the cabinet (bottom leg of tee) so olive puller it is I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back