Help for a total Noob Tiling a Toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all let me express my gratitude for any help offered. I am very much a novice other than watching countless hours of DIY programs on TV!

Anyhow to the project. Im my home we have a very small lavatory, and being a family which has both raised many boys, and still has many boys learning to aim the floor has taken a bit of a soaking from time to time.

Now in discussion with other interested parties tiling the entire room is out, in fairness she has a point with it being such a small room it would perhaps be a bit claustrophobic. So here are my questions and concerns,

The floor.

Could I buy some thin (it would have to be thin otherwise I will have issues with the door unsuch and screw this down to the floor boards and then tile strait on top of that?

The Wall

Now this is where things get a little interesting, as our house is getting on a bit the walls arnt in great shape, and years of boys missing their target has set some mold going in the corner, I plan to deal with that with the steam cleaner and some ammonia. But wuld I be right in assuming I can tile right onto the wall?

The other problem is the vent stack. This leads though the room and Is encased in some very old wood. I don’t have the carpentry skills to replace it, but I could perhaps patch it over with some dry wall.

See the plan is, to tile half way up the wall and then paint the top, but my concern is the plaster is in such bad shape towards the top it will look awful. So would I be best blue boarding the entire room and tiling the bits needed and then paining the rest.. I mean im not even sue if blue board will take paint okay?

And would I be okay using the dab method ive seen on TV, where they just glue the board to the wall?

And finally is the blueboard really expensive? Should I just board where I have to tile, including the boxing which covers the vent and then switch over to dry wall?

Or is there another option? Perhaps I could just board the bottom bit and the apply some new product Ive not head of yet which will smooth out the plaster allowing it to take a nice coat of paint?

As I said at the start, any suggestions greatly appreciated. Im a total novice here, I mean I’m not an idiot or anything,,, well maybe just one step above idiot,, But id like to give this a go

Thanks again

Dave

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back