Query - Tiling over plasterboard and tongue and groove flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it okay/ good practice to place some cement board ontop of tongue and groove flooring. Then tiling on top of this?

I also need to tile over a plasterboard wall. Can i tile directly onto or is it best practice to do something else? I am just concerned about plasterboard potentially failing if it gets wet

Sponsored Links
For the floor, you are better off to lay an insulated aqua board or at the very least some marine ply. For the walls it depends if its a shower or general slash area. If its a shower then I'd line it with aqua board first.

For the flooring - if there is any flex in the boards your floor wont last a year before the grout cracks and the tile come loose.

We are doing a bathroom renovation, so our objective is keep costs down but do a job that will last

Usually, i would use 16mm ply and ditra matt, but all of this will raise the floor too high

Can i ask what makes the aqua board better than cement boards? Are cement board know to flex and cause issues

Any suggestions on where to source the recommended materials at a good price?

We plan to install a bath with a water fall shower, so the user has thr choice of a bath / shower

75% of the wall is masonry. Is it okay to tile directly onto this? or would you still use aqua panel here as well?

Edit

Google search shows that aquapanel are in fact cement board

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If your floor is free from flex and the floorboards are flat then overboarding with 6mm No More Ply or Hardibacker is fine (follow the instructions). As for your walls plasterboard is a very good surface to tile onto as long as you tank the area which is likely to get wet around your bath. The other thing to take into account is the size/weight of the tiles you are planning to fit. Bare plasterboard will take up to 32kg sq/m, plastered walls will reduce the max weight to around 20kg sq/m. If your tiles are heavier than 32kg sq/m then the STS boards or similar will be a better option as the load they will take is much greater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back