How to combine wall tiles and wall tongue and groove in same bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Scenario: it's small but is the only bathroom in our otherwise large Edwardian terraced house, so we want to make something of it and keep to a reasonably Victorian or Edwardian theme. One corner of the room has an airing cupboard cut out (accessed from the landing), and this is paneled by original Edwardian tongue and groove paneling that goes from floor to ceiling on wall C. At present the other walls are an incoherent mixture of tiles, wallpaper and wooden paneling.
Bathroom plan.jpg

We would like painted tongue and groove paneling round most of the rest of the bathroom too, to create this sort of effect (two shades of blue required):
victorian-style-luxurious-and-opulent-decorations-14-460.jpg

but going up to the middle of the room, and starting off the floor as we want it to meet a skirting board. There will be a high level toilet in one corner, a sink in the middle under the window and a roll-top shower bath (Burlington Hampton) near the door:
http://www.drench.co.uk/burlington-hampton-roll-top-shower-bath-with-luxury-feet
E142_details1471767688637.jpg

My wife has seen the following hexagonal Moroccan style tiles and thinks they would be perfect for the floor:
https://www.tonsoftiles.co.uk/souk-blue-patchwork-hexagon-tiles-15x15cm.html
souk-patchwork-blue.jpg

The catch is, she also wants them on walls A and B to protect against splashing (inevitable with small children) and in any case I'm inclined to agree that having wooden tongue and groove panels against a bath that is also used as a shower isn't a great idea.

Problem is I am struggling to see how we could integrate tongue and groove on some walls but not others. For instance should the skirting board and tongue, wood panels and dado come a foot or so round from wall F onto wall A, to meet the bath so that the tiles only start where the bath comes into contact with the wall and then continue round to wall B, or should the whole of wall A be tiled? Should we have a skirting board divide the floor tiles from the wall tiles all the way along wall A under the bath? Should we have the same random patterns on wall and floor, or should we have some blank white tiles on the wall mixed with the blue patterned tiles (or have mainly white hexagonal wall tiles with occasional patterned tiles)? And should we tile up to the ceiling on walls A and B, or up to around 6 foot high and have bare wall for the rest, just as there would be on walls D, E and F (but not wall C as those panels go up to the ceiling already)? I've represented tongue and groove with the blue dashes and tiles with the green dots.

As I'm no whizz with 3D graphics I haven't been able to sketch up the design to try different options on the computer, but in any case I would appreciate what advice any tilers can give about how you would sensibly combine tiles and tongue and groove in the same room. Bottom line is that we are thinking Moroccan wall tiles on the wall against bath to waterproof it because of the shower and my wife thinks they would look great on the floor so would work for the wall too, but we would prefer wooden panels elsewhere. And we want a traditional feel to the bathroom.

Other things to note: bathroom is on the first floor, and the floorboards underneath are wooden (but they will be taken out and replaced with boards suitable for tiling onto prior to putting any floor tiles down).

Sponsored Links
I would tile all of walll A as your green line
If you want skirting board, continue all around

You could fit a clear glass splashback to the basin, over the t&g

Be careful it doesn't look too busy

agree tile the whole of the wall with the green dotted line. then panel the other walls. stick some matching square 6" tiles to the panelling behind the basin

Wood panelling on an outside wall can lead to mould and decay behind the T&G.

FWIW: "a clear glass splashback" is not very Edwardian.

Sponsored Links
One fixture is a necessity with a fixed shower head.
And one is unnecessary.

I'm aware this is a resurrection of an old thread but having had questions from forum members about what the bathroom renovation looked like in the end I thought I'd share a few pictures. In the end we went for tiles on walls A and B (referring to the floorplan in the first post) going as far as the hinge of the door. We decided in the end to go for square tiles rather than hexagons and the budget wouldn't allow for the entire wall to have hand-finished tiles so we added a few randomly selected in a repeating pattern against a white background. I rather like the result:

20190913_083829.jpg
20190911_225436.jpg
20190911_225324.jpg
20190911_225609.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back