Help for dumb blonde!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
thought I'd best come and ask some experts.
I have a very small bathroom and a few years back got my nephew, (who was an 2nd yr carpentry apprentice), to hide pipework by boxing in a concealed cistern and doing the same for pipes below a wall hung sink with MDF. The job also included fitting worktops which require cutting out for the sink and toilet flush. He made such a hash I ended up having to rectify as best I could.
The time has come to refurbish so I contacted a carpenter who measured up and said I would be better off buying units he could just fit. I went to several suppliers and searched the web but there are no units that come close to the measurements (see below) I could get away with so he said he would build carcasses and fit high gloss doors for the front which would be sealed but allow access if needed. For five weeks I've had to make numerous calls/texts only for him to come with he had man flu then hurt his leg. I even waited in all day when he said he would be around but then failed to turn up claiming he got tied up with a quote. I got so fed up I contacted another carpenter. He said he would buy kitchen units, cut them to size and fit and it was an easy job he could do in a day. I asked him to crack on and source the units/materials. That was three weeks ago and after chasing him up yesterday I got a text saying he had man flu and had hurt his leg so has a backlog and wont be able to do it for months.
So, looks like I might have to do this but have'nt a clue how to use a router for the worktops nor how to do the cistern unit so theres access to pipes etc in the event of a problem.
If any of you can direct me to instructional videos etc I would be grateful. Please take into account I am a dumb female.
Thanks
Current measurements, (including worktop):
Sink boxing: H76 x W82 x D28 (cm)
Cistern/toilet boxing: H98 X W76 X D23 (cm)

Sponsored Links
You state your a "dumb blonde" but your measurement reference would put some of your male counterparts, posting on this site, to shame.
Try popping in a search syntax - hiding bathroom pipes etc. - ...pinenot :)

Its a little difficult to visualise what you really want, but if you need carcasses built to a custom size then look at the diyhomefit website.....they will be able to supply you with whatever you need and are really helpful on the phone.
Carcass raw materials are also available from them.
Not being patronising here but a router is not a beginners machine - male / female / blonde or otherwise!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks burnerman. think I will need a tradesman if I can find one who is R.E.L.I.A.B.L.E
If anyone is in my area who fits this description, then please contact me.
:0)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back