Appliances too high for worktop, end panels too low

Another danger to taking tops off appliances, (as well as moisture/water ingress), is the obvious danger that someone will stick their fingers through, (think kiddies with very small hands), or slide something like an instruction book under the worktop for safe keeping. It will drop inside and may cause damage or, again, someone may feel under to try and retrieve it and get hurt/electrocuted etc.
Taking appliance tops off is a strict NO, unless it is to carry out maintenance!

Sponsored Links
Whilst I agree with Johnny that you can gain another 25mm or so by taking the tops off the appliances, which will be less painfull than refitting the base units, my main experience with doing it was in a kitchen we acquired some years ago when we bought a flat. Stunning looking kitchen (black oak with aluminium trim), but if water leaked over the top and into the dishwasher it required a new control board. That happened to us twice (both plumbing issues) - on the second occasion I ended up making a 2mm aluminium top cover to protect the innards of the dishwasher, so not a fan of taking tops off machines
Yes, the thinner cover would be the best solution, as long as you're happy to have a lower worktop.
Personally I like my worktops to be at 930mm so not to worsen my back pain and I built our kitchen and my workbench this way.
Same as for all vanity units.
Many people comment on the comfort of having a taller sink (apart from my sister in law who's of small size :ROFLMAO: )
Anyway, it's up to you and how you feel comfortable.

I do wonder if the worktop fitters need the extra clearance simply so they can get their fingers under the worktop while they manouvre it into position. I wonder if it might not ne possible to pull the appliances out, install the top and then position the appliances. Either way that Belfast sink needs sorting out first

Oddly enough I have been mulling over the possibility of my next kitchen having worktops maybe 50mm higher than currently (standard, 910mm) with a shallower (say 50mm) plinth. That, combined with a compact laminate top would give me an extra (shallow) drawer on a couple of units.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
The other aspect that would concern me is the sink being 30mm lower, whilst it's not considerable in real terms, I do wonder how it would affect your back posture...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back