Help - garage door paint flaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok I think i messed this up - paint flaking alert!

Background:
I'm doing up alot of things in our house atm - Kitchen (repaint w/Farrow & Ball), Bathroom & Ensuite change, etc.

All is going well with the above and between my mammoth of tasks i decided to fit in repainting the garage door. It's in good condition as paint was not falling off and no rust, etc. The colour was just faded and looking a bit naff.

What i did:
I bought some Dulux Weathershield for exterior metal & wood. (In Gallant Grey for those interested).
I brushed the door down to get rid of obvious dust and debris.
I then washed the door with a soapy solution and cloth by hand.
Then rinsed with fresh water and left to dry.
I applied one coat of the paint by brush (decent quality one) and left to dry.

Results:
Having looked at it this morning 90% of the door looks fine but 10% of it has bits flaking off.
Now I didn't sand as the previous paint was matte to touch so I assumed it had a key for the new paint to adhere to. I didn't prime as the instructions said to only do so for bare galvanized metal or wood.

My only thought was maybe it was too cold to paint properly (read the can said over 10 degrees but it was probably around 4/5 degrees). But why would only parts then flake off?

So what do i do - help and advice needed!
Do i just need to sand these areas now to prevent getting worse and repaint when warmer?
Was it just the temperature that was the issue or should i have primed (red oxide?)

We're looking to sell the house so want it to look at least decent for now and really for the new people not to have to repeat in 6 months.

Much Appreciated
Ben

Sponsored Links
If it is around the handle or edges it could be oil from hands being a garage. White spirit would degrease it after cleaning off the flaking bits, I would wait till it is warmer though as the paint suggests.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back