help getting qualified

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody give me some good honest advice? Ive been working as an electrician, installation mainly, for about 12 years,and I need to become qualified, i.e get a JIB card. Im pretty confident in most aspects of the game,but obviously its a lot more regulated now so ive stopped working and have set about becoming qualified.
what is the quickest route to this? and are these 2330 courses on the internet any good?
Can somebody help me out, and before all the time served sparks start ranting and raving about cowboys like me ,Id like to say, I just want help to get qualified and fully realise you cant become a spark in 5 minutes. Ive never undertaken anything I was unsure about,I just feel its time to get a JIB card and stop blagging.

Sponsored Links
JIB does not make you qualified..

I am qualified but according to JIB I am a senior graded electrical trainee..

all because i did not do a registered apprenticeship..

If I want to become JIB graded as an electrician, i need to do an NVQ level3.. which takes 2 years of visits to where you work..

I have my city and guilds 236 parts 1 and 2, and a BTEC ONC in elecronics and electrical engineering..

I have also just taken my City and Guilds 2391 inspection and testing, which I think I have done well in..

I find most employers are only really after part 1, part 2, training to 16th and that the 2391 is a good one to get under your belt. I also have the NVQ stuff that has never been recognised by my employer.

JIB is just a recognised work grade system recognised by a minority of employers, it isn't necessarily a qualification.

If you are already in employment within the electrical trade then the iee website states that you just need to work to NVQ Level 3 to become recognised.

''These are vocationally focussed qualifications, designed by the industry, for the industry. Training is devided between the classroom and the workplace, therefore providing the theory needed for practical tasks in the workplace.''

Personally, I found the NVQ's to be a little 'easy' in comparison to the old method. My apprentice sailed through his, so it must still be the same.

In your instance I would want to go to evening college and do the lot, but if you're after recognition, then I think it's the NVQ 3 that you're supposed to work to.

Do the 2391 though, that course is a must :D

Hope this helps http://www.iee.org/EduCareers/ProfDev/Electrician.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back