How far to go with qualifications - a grey area it seems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1. Hello, i am presently in my second year of the 2330 and needing advice on where to go next, after checking a variety of websites it seems that i only need the NVQ if i want to work on JIB sites, but also been told that if you have the qualifications some will let you work anyway. plus to become an approved contractor ive checked with the NIC and it states they require the 2330 and possibly the 2391 but if you show competence in testing you can get approved without doing the 2391. to be honest im not too bothered about getting my JIB card. it seems nearly everyone i have spoken to says you can do 90% of your work being approved by the NIC or ECA etc.

2. Plus it seems like a grey area because i have been doin work on holiday parks recently which of course is under special locations but not Part P. when ive checked their rules of sparks it states that the spark has to be approved via the NIC or ECA etc or if not has to prove that they are competent! and me doing my 2330 will pass me as competent. so in reality i can certificate with non registered NIC certificates. any comments would be welcome

thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Passing 2330 doesnt necessarily make you "competent"

i think getting AM2, (which you have to do, to get NVQ now?) is more important than going after a JIB card

no according to various websites and literature, the NVQ or the AM2 is acceptable. on the JIB site it says if you have not obtained the NVQ then you can have the AM2 as acceptance. plus in respect to saying whether having 2330 is competent thats exactly my point. nobody is saying what is and what isnt, but according to the NIC having the 2330 and 2391 will get you approved but if you can prove that you can test then you dont need the 2391, so accordiong to them having the 2330 is a sign of competency, its a nightmare trying to get defiante answers, if anyone can comment on my above 2 points (the start of the topic) then id be very grateful

i did a 2391 recently and the tutor was saying its only a matter of time before they make it a compulsory to have it just like the 2381 which makes you a competent peron along withe other requirements.

Sponsored Links
hi mate thanks for your reply, but on alot of websites you dont need the 2381. 2330 and 2391 for NIC which is whatr i will go for, but as i said if you show you can test on their visit you may not have to do the 2391 so im competent in their eyes to sign non registered NIC certificates. i will do the 2391 anyway but its just annoying that theres no specific one rule answer and there should be

any comments most welcome regarding my original two questions

Do you just want to scrape by, qualifying to the level of registering as a Domestic Installer with NICEIC or ECA etc, or do you want to genuinely feel fully qualified to handle any LV work you're asked to do, domestic, commercial, industrial, agricultural.... ?

yeah i want to fully qualify but that what im saying, to be an approved contractor not just a domestic installer, you only need the 2330 and 2391 and of course experience. so in terms of doing all that work being an approved contractor with the NIC is exactly what i want its seems, i dont in tend to bother with the JIB, seems like its going out of fashion iof you get y meaning, like the equity card for actors etc

hi top, yeah i know that what i mean is its because im doing that course ive used that as an example, how would you get approved via the NIC? your comments are very welcome

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back