Help help help, am I being unrealistic/unreasonable

L

lomond82

Hiya

Total novice as you will gather. Short of it is one window, two panes. One side has had problem after problem (won't go into it) however my query relates to the lead on the "new replacement". The shiny lovely lead has been in since October and looks like all the other windows replaced. The grubby one has been in 3 weeks max and just looks rusted (I appreciate it's not). It's difficult to show the full window as it's above my garage..sorry
Q: is this acceptable
Q: if not acceptable and you have been fobbed off by builder to supplier then supplier has taken the rip over 4 months, who do you take it up with.

Help or advice would be gratefully received. Or anyone know if I can do anything to "buff" up the yuck side.

Thank you! View media item 78357 View media item 78358 View media item 78359
Managed to get a couple of the full window View media item 78400 View media item 78401

Sponsored Links
Those a faux lead strips. They are just stuck on to the windows to replicate real leaded lights. Lead will dull with age, so they will all ultimately go a dark dull dark gray/black colour. It is not meant to stay shiny.

They may have used a different lead strip manufacturer.

In my opinion faux lead strips look awful anyway. You are basically complaining about a bit of tape stuck to your window.

As said they will all go like that eventually but its not right to have the 2 looking so different in a new window and I wouldn't except it being left like that.

If you dont want the hassle of trying to get the builder to sort it you could get some lead patination oil (about £6 online from ebay) and rub it into the lead to darken it all.

Sponsored Links
As said they will all go like that eventually but its not right to have the 2 looking so different in a new window and I wouldn't except it being left like that.

If you dont want the hassle of trying to get the builder to sort it you could get some lead patination oil (about £6 online from ebay) and rub it into the lead to darken it all.

Thanks Gazman, they replaced three front windows (only front has this faux lead) and out the 8 panes, they are after 7/8 months still shiny silver and this one is dark charcoal so it looks bad. I appreciate the picture doesn't show it off but it is so obvious.

To be honest I don't usually mind hassle and a bit of a fight but 5 windows got replaced, first 3 were wrong colour wrong side (ie white out, brown in), then two windows were wrong size, this window has had it's sash replaced as non fused at mitred bit, this is pane number 4!!!! Yes I did say 4:1 st was out of sync with lead and builder sent back, 2nd was wrong colour lead and builder send back, 3rd I had to fight with supplier as it has a hand, thumb, finger and smears I the inside of pane visible from main road and supplier was trying to get out it, this is number 4, living room sash had to be replaced as kept gaping and supplier told me I had to get used to the road noise and there was nothing up with it, turns out it was straight everywhere but bowed on the outside, replacement sash has part of the weather seal omitted and am still awaiting that fixed so all in all after 5/6 months of fighting I have lost the will otherwise I would be giving them hell and saying look that looks terrible versus the others but........think I just need to accept it looks crap and see if the shiny silver faux strips or whatever they are darken.

Many thanks

I assumed the problem was with the back of the strips against the glass, that faces you when you look out, you can't clean those.

No freddymercury this is the outside of the window., the bit that when you look at the front of my house you see. The bit between the panes kinda look the same as incased.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back