Help! Hole in wall disaster!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Let me just say one thing here, I am lame at DIY but I try hard.

I recently bought a lovely new house with big kitchen and utility room. Its a new build, therefore it looks pretty but it does not have enough storage, especially as we have just found out we have our first little one on the way!

So, I decide to be rather good and source matching cabinets in the utility room, put them up on the wall. I have now had to go away for 3 days for work.

So today we had the kitchen fitters come and do some snagging on their work. They noticed the cabinet which I had put up and commented that the doors were not quite straight (this is true, I didn't have time to sort them before leaving). They duly offered to straighten them for us free of charge.

Of course, as anyone would, my wife agrees.

The kitchen fitter then comes out to tell her "those cabinets are hanging off the wall, its a danger to your puppy dog, come and look".

Now, I know these were not hanging off the wall 24 hours ago, as I tugged at them to show the wife that they were secure, the thing did not move.

In total I used 6 Piranha X3 plasterboard fixings, each rated for 25KG (apparently) so, more than enough strength here...

So now, I have a gaping hole in the wall, no idea of how I can re-fix the cabinets and a very P****D off wife.

Please help ASAP - pregnant, nesting hormonal wife on the war path, I have taken tomorrow off work to repair it and how NO idea what to do!

Thanks in advance.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/diy-di...netsholes-and-dogs-help.390753/#ixzz2r4pH0K6W

Sponsored Links
Hi jsr2013.

Firstly, you should only post in 1 subforum. The moderators may lock one of your threads for you.

You say you've used plasterboard fixings - is the wall you are fixing to a stud wall or has it got blockwork/brickwork behind the p/board?
The latter will be easier to get it firmly fixed.

oops, sorry!

Its plasterboard with a cavity in behind it, so assume thats stud.

The cupboard is 1000mm long, have looked for a hanging rail so it can be affixed to the stud but they all appear too long.

Sponsored Links
Well...its on the wall (lol) and doesn't seem to want to move!

I used the advice and seems perfect! I used the batten at the top and bottom and also one in the middle (behind where the shelf will sit) so that thing is going nowhere!

I will try and post a pic at the weekend

Thanks again guys!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back