Most suitable wall covering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1927 built detached house - I recently took a wall down between the kitchen/dining room and have since stripped the plaster from all of the walls exposing the original brickwork.

My boiler (in the below pictures) is going to be replaced with a smaller new Worcester combi, in addition I'll be fitting a new kitchen with wall mounted cabinets to enclose the boiler.

My question, what is the most suitable wall covering for this part of the kitchen diner? Elsewhere within the room I intend to batten and cover with plasterboard, but would batten/plasterboard be sufficient to hang a boiler and cabinets from? I was considering batten and then using concrete boards for this specific part of the kitchen, plasterboard elsewhere?

Also, would I run the pipework behind the boarding (in the cavity between board and brick) so that I can neatly tile the wall underneath the hanging kitchen cabinets?

The boiler in the pictures below will be moving to the far left of the wall that it is currently attached to (into the corner of the room).

Sponsored Links
My question, what is the most suitable wall covering for this part of the kitchen diner? Elsewhere within the room I intend to batten and cover with plasterboard, but would batten/plasterboard be sufficient to hang a boiler and cabinets from?
If you plan it right and already have the design of your kitchen, batten out and install timbers in the locations that you intend to hang boiler and cabinets, simples!

My question, what is the most suitable wall covering for this part of the kitchen diner? Elsewhere within the room I intend to batten and cover with plasterboard, but would batten/plasterboard be sufficient to hang a boiler and cabinets from?
If you plan it right and already have the design of your kitchen, batten out and install timbers in the locations that you intend to hang boiler and cabinets, simples!

Thanks for your reply - what about the running of piping? Would you run those behind the boards in the cavity?

It's up to you, you could have them wall mounted and boxed in for ease of maintenance or route them within the internal cavity.
Ideally you want the pipe work to be clipped, routed so it is not going to be mechanically damaged by screws/nails and protected against freezing. Also try to avoid any concealed fittings on the pipe work.

Sponsored Links
if you're going to batten and plasterboard, remember to use foil-back and include plenty of insulation on external walls.

ditto

When i have been building some particular mobile phone shops, ( i have also copied this in my house in some rooms ) Is stud out the whole shop so its square and plumb, the all electric what ever gets run in there, insulate, then instead of plasterboard they used 25mm thick ply ( the expensive one, nice flat perfect finish ). Then plasterboarded.

This give you one massively solid wall, and you can then screw ANYTHING straight in to the wall. Makes kitchens easy. Ok you lose a few inches, but the room is warm,dry and solid.

Thanks guys, I have decided to go for a mix of hard walling the walls where I'll be mounting cabinets, the other walls I'll batton and plasterboard. I'll let you know how it goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back