Help! I think I've just lost my CH just before Christmas.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have posted a few times regarding a faulty motorised valve. Please read this post for background info:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=156952

Since that post, I have had a heating engineer out to look at the valve. He thought that the head of the valve needed replacing and ordered the part. That was last week. After he left, the heating was working fine again even though he hadn't done anything and I assumed it was becouse the motor was sticking and because it had been removed that had freed it up for a while.

Anyway, he rang me a couple of days ago to tell me the part was in but that he could only fit it that day. I was going out for the day so we agreed that as it was working ok at the moment to leave it until after christmas (he's leaving for USA today).

So, sod's law has come into play and now the heating's stopped working again. I have tried removing the motor and manualy turning the valve (which the engineer told me should get the heating going again) but it does nothing. If I push the slider accross to Manual, that does nothing too.

I'm really worried that I won't have any heating for Christmas and I have people coming to stay.

If any of you could talk me through some things to try, that would be most appreciated.

PS. The HW works fine and the Motorised valve is made by Honeywell

Sponsored Links
Well typical! The boiler's just fired up and the rads are getting hot. That's about 30 minutes after I last fiddled with the stat to make it ask for CH.

Great, it's stopped again and the house is nowhere near up to stat temp. Nothing will get the boiler to fire up again. Any ideas as to what I can try?

Great, it's stopped again and the house is nowhere near up to stat temp. Any ideas as to what I can try?

assuming its a 3port mpv a temp bodge is to turn up the cylinder stat (80 deg) manually lock the actuator in the manual position and lower the boiler stat to 60/70 deg. This will give you hotter than normal hw so be careful but whenever the hw is turned on at the clock the htg will come on too. It's not ideal but will keep you warm!

Sponsored Links
BritishBeef, to stand any chance of fixing this yourself you need to take a deep, calming breath and start seeing things in terms of (a) what the system behaviour should be, (b) what the behaviour is, and (c) what each component in the system is supposed to do.

Far be it from me to discourage you from having a go, because that's why the forum is here, but this close to Christmas I expect that you'll get too stressed to tackle this yourself.

If you post your rough location, then one of might know of an alternative contractor who could come and solve things for you.

Great, it's stopped again and the house is nowhere near up to stat temp. Any ideas as to what I can try?

assuming its a 3port mpv a temp bodge is to turn up the cylinder stat (80 deg) manually lock the actuator in the manual position and lower the boiler stat to 60/70 deg. This will give you hotter than normal hw so be careful but whenever the hw is turned on at the clock the htg will come on too. It's not ideal but will keep you warm!

Thanks for the help dangermouse. Now for the newbie questions:

Where can I find the cylinder stat (do you mean the hot water cylinder?)

There is a stat on the boiler but it is labeled 1-5, not in degrees.

Sorry for my stupidity.

BritishBeef, to stand any chance of fixing this yourself you need to take a deep, calming breath and start seeing things in terms of (a) what the system behaviour should be, and (b) what the behavious is.

Far be it from me to discourage you from having a go, because that's why the forum is here, but this close to Christmas I expect that you'll get too stressed to tackle this yourself.

If you post your rough location, then one of might know of an alternative contractor who could come and solve things for you.

LOL Softus. Yes, my stress level is a little elevated! I would love someone to help but am concerned at the cost of a callout this close to christmas.

I am in BS20 (North Somerset).

7 Weeks since you first posted .At this time of year seeing as most guys will only get involved with customers they know it looks like you may have a cold xmas unless ou pay through the nose to one of the yellow pages crowd

7 Weeks since you first posted .At this time of year seeing as most guys will only get involved with customers they know it looks like you may have a cold xmas unless ou pay through the nose to one of the yellow pages crowd

I'm well aware I've been stupid in leaving it so long but the problem has been intermitant and money is really tight for me lately.

OK, I've found the Cylinder stat. It is numbered 1-5 and the boiler stat is actually numbered 1-6. What should I set these to to get a temp of around 80 degrees on the cylinder and 60/70 deg on the boiler?

ME:
OK, I've found the Cylinder stat. It is numbered 1-5 and the boiler stat is actually numbered 1-6. What should I set these to to get a temp of around 80 degrees on the cylinder and 60/70 deg on the boiler?
Anyone know this?

I'm well aware I've been stupid in leaving it so long but the problem has been intermitant and money is really tight for me lately.
The best free Christmas present I can give you is some advice:

When people give you help and practical information on this forum, acknowledge it and act upon it, instead of ignoring it for weeks/months and then creating a new topic.

Did you ever diagnose the problem with the room thermostat?

If so, what was it, and did you fix it?

Regarding your cylinder thermostat, the purpose of setting it high is to make the hot water and heating come on together, because your heating won't work reliably on its own. For this reason, you might as well set it to the highest position.

If you do this, then it's essential to turn down the boiler thermostat is twofold:

1. So that you don't get scalded when using hot water.
2. So that the 'demand' to heat the hot water thermostat is never satisfied.

I don't know why you're relying on just one person to work on your system. Even if the valve had to be changed in its entirety, it's not a difficult task for any competent contractor.

Hi Softus, thanks for your help.

I really hope I haven't come across as ungrateful. I am eternally grateful for all the help and advice I have received from the kind people on this forum. I feel I have acknowledged the replies I have received or at least replied to them. The reason I let the issue continue was because the problem has been rather intermitant and it has worked fine most of the time. Another reason is financial. I have relied on the one engineer because he is a friend of a friend of the family. He has confirmed that there is no problem with the room stat. The only reason why the valve hasn't been replaced is because he was waiting for the parts and could only do it a couple of days ago but I was going away (he is now on holiday). I only called him out just over a week ago.

Regarding the helpful info you have given - thanks very much, that makes sense to me now. I have tried this and the heating is coming on when the hot water is asked for.

I have a few electric heaters coming over with family for Christmas so at least we won't be cold if I can't heat the house sufficiently with the CH.

I think the motto is to get help 2-3 weeks before any holidays!

Heating, cars, electrics, fridges etc.

People who fix things like to go on holidays sometimes and that leaves those like me who dont sometimes rather busy. That does not stop me going this evening to two new customers though.

Tony

What parts are not instantly available for a Honeywell 3PV?

I would expect all serviceable parts over the counter at any decent merchants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back