Help I think we've messed up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my hubby and i are decorating our first home but I think i messed up, I bought the Dulux Trade undercoat really smelly stuff and covered the kitchen wall with it to paint a dulux matt on top, but I read the tin afterwards and I don't think I should have done that. Is there any way of rescuing this stupid idiotic mistake? :oops:

Sponsored Links
If the wall was peviously painted /emulsioned the undercoat will be no problem. Just emulsion over when dry 16hrs plus. you'll need two coats here and each coat will take ages to dry as emulsion cant soak into the solvent based paint.
Just get some trade emulsion (not £5 for 20ltr) and thin the first coat a little to make it flow out(so brushmarks dissapear) same with 2nd coat if your happy with 1st coat. Dont be buying special basecoats its all bullshit, just dont be afraid to buy enough for two coats of the colour you want.
erm the wall was not bare plaster?

No it wasn't bare plaster, the people who had the house previously knew even less about diy than we do. There were screws nailed into the walls, rawl plugs the size of 50 pence pieces painted over. We stripped the border in the kitchen and there was a god awful green paint underneath, we sanded down the edges of the border made because the magnolia they put on top peels off like rubber which makes us think they put on half a dozen coats of magnolia cheap stuff without letting the previous coat to dry. I have gone over the border again and the green has not come through. We have a dulux rich matt to paint over the undercoat hint of daffodil. Hopefully it will be fine, if not we are back to square one. thanks again for your tips. I just can't believe we made such a basic mistake.

Sponsored Links
Dont' be so hard on yourself, we all have to start somewhere! You can only call someone daft when they make the same mistake twice. When I was a kid I tried to make a very powerful "electromagnet" by getting a plug, some flex and an iron bar, neutral at one end, live at the other. Quite spectacular in hindsight.... Never saw the iron filings again :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back