Help identify existing render finish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks I am trying to ID the finish on a existing building, how it was done with what materials.

I understand it is going to be very hard for you folks without seeing it but I will do my best to provide you info and pics.

The wall is rough, looks like cement though white with small stones (rough) included in the finish, not thrown on top of the finish, it is as if they where mixed with the render and then applied, maybe by hurling at the wall?

The pics below show the finish I am trying to replicate.

View media item 35936and
View media item 35937

Sponsored Links
Looks like a wet dash/slurry dash, that would give you a close match anyway.

Interesting thanks for the pointer. I will need to see more as to what size aggregate etc is used on the wall. It may be the white colour came from a lime wash. I will probally try a sample panel before the real thing to see the match. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Just talking to a local guy who thinks it may have been done with K-Rend wet dash that is made local to us here in Larne. Anyone any details on this, how is it applied etc. Cost? Coverage? Might be worth checking out.

Ring the tech line at Kilwaughter and you'll find them helpful.

Especially nowadays........

Yep I spoke to a reseller today who had the girl from Kilwaughter ring me re the Wet Dash product, great service. I have told them I will get a sample of the old finish across to them to see if it is a match for their product. I still get the felling that it is some sort of lime based finish with aggregate. The cross section of the strip I have removed looks like a 4mm cement layer with a single white dash layer. The white dash looks slightly foam like (hard to describe) as if the mix was frothy before hardening or at least very aerated.

I can post a sample of the old finish to anyone that think they can positive ID it :) PM me an address and I will send a small piece in a jiffy bag. Or is there a professional body that can take a physical sample for analyses or ID ?

Thanks to everyone who has offered help and advice. Looks like it is indeed a wet dash made up with lime.

I have several other related questions now so will open a new thread. Thanks..George

Yep I sent a sample to RoundTowerLime and they ID'ed for me. Nice of them as they are not even in my province :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back