Help identifying MCB (*Pics Added*)

Adam: it looks to me that the busbar connections are at the top and the cable connections at the bottom in that CU

Davies: i can't see any differences in parts of those breakers that would affect the fit and its the same brand so it will almost certainly be fine.

Sorry plugwash have i missed something :?:

Sponsored Links
Davies365 said:
Adam: it looks to me that the busbar connections are at the top and the cable connections at the bottom in that CU

Davies: i can't see any differences in parts of those breakers that would affect the fit and its the same brand so it will almost certainly be fine.

Sorry plugwash have i missed something :?:

pay close attention to the contacts on the back of the MCB. there in a diff places

hmm they both appear to have the connections at the top to me.

though daves pic is fairly poor

i don't think that clip at the bottom is a current carrying contact despite the fact its metal on one of the breakers.

I'd concur with Plugwash. I just did some work on a SquareD board and they had three different generations of breakers inside. I managed to replace a BS 3871 Type 2 with a BSEN 60898 Type B, which I sourced (pricey, though) from The Fuse Company. Although slightly different in design and appearance, the old and new breakers sit easily in the unit.

SquareD's newer products have a more usual screwed busbar connection, so make sure you order the old style, as in your photo - round clip at bottom for location rail and vertical busbar clip at the top.

Sponsored Links
ok so they are a little pricey but not insanely so.

thats the price you pay to obtain items that aren't in common use anymore, keeping stocks of a huge range of obsolete items is an expensive buisness.

yes if you are replacing a whole boardfull it would be cheaper to replace the whole board but how often do you replace most of the breakers in a board anyway?

Thanks guys I couldn't see the wood for the trees.
I have checked the consumer unit again and the bottom metal clip attaches to a plastic bar and the top clip which is also metal (but doesn't look like it my pic) attaches to what must be the busbar.

The newer range of MCB will fit the old board...

I got a 40A MCB (New) & 32A RCBO (Old) which your welcome to have.

to me the exisiting looks as tho the power enters thru the bottom, where as the image of the new 1 looks the other way

andrew2022 there are four strong reasons i doubt that

1: i have NEVER seen a mcb where the entry and exit connections are on the same end.

2: it would be very unusual for two breakers to be so similar and not be replaceable

3: the original poster has confirmed the bottom clip clips onto a plastic bar

4: the bottom clip doesn't look substantial enough to be a current carrying part.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back