Help identifying suitable enclosure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to identify an enclosure that will take a standard DP RCD, and has a cover of some sort over the RCD, ideally lockable. It needs to be large enough to mount a 63A SP+N industrial socket on the side and it needs to be metal both to support the socket to terminate the incoming SWA cable.

I suppose we could use an adaptable box to terminate the SWA armour and then take the cores into a plastic enclosure, and I guess we could mount the socket on the wall with a short cable to the enclosure, but it's messy.

Application is an auxiliary lighting supply outlet in the chancel of a church. Feed is from 32A Switchfuse in switchroom. The installation won't support more than 32A, but we need a 63A outlet as that is standard on hired stage lighting equipment.

We want the RCD to be local to the outlet so that we don't have to run the full length of the church in the event of a trip.

Sponsored Links
How about a MK "commando combi" unit? (the code you want is probablly K13463 BLU) they are made of tough plastic not metal but they already have the socket and RCD integrated and I would think they would be tough enough to terminate SWA onto (have you worked out how big the SWA needs to be). Downside is they seem to be a bit on the expensive side.

Or you could install a 32A one and get the hire company to supply an adaptor, or if you are feeling really adventerous you can make your own out of a piece of 6mm H07, a 32A plug and a 63A trailing socket :)

Sponsored Links
It's a cheaper than the 63A model but probablly not by a huge ammount especially once you consider the cost of the adaptor cable. And there is IMO a good chance of the adaptor cable getting lost.

Yes, that's the baby I had in mind. I'd seen one before but couldn't remember who made it - thanks all.

30m run, clipped direct, 32A, 25C ambient - 4mm is too close for comfort (10.5v) so will go for 6mm which will also allow for an upgrade to 45A in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back