Help in fixing an Ikea bathroom cabinet to drylined wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I need advice on mounting an Ikea LILLÅNGEN bathroom cabinet on a drylined wall. Basically forgot that it wasn't a solid wall and there is no way to support the cabinet (20kg) with two screws and plugs. :oops: I have managed to locate two studs. I have read various ways to mount on a drywall but the advice has contradicted on various sites. :idea: I was thinking of using the two existing holes but using either snap toggle anchors
www.toolfixservices.com/fixings.php or plasterboard anchor bolts
www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-hm-plast...20/38777#product_additional_details_container
The depth of the plasterboard with the tile is approx 35mm. I have drilled a pilot hole through the grouting just to check the studs were there. Would it be ok to use just a woodscrew to screw through to the stud via the pilot hole and plasterboard? There is a 10mm gap between the back of the main cabinet and the wall hence white spacers have been provided. However, on the end of the unit (the add-on on the right) there is no need for a spacer as it is constructed with the same thickness of particleboard. I could use another metal bracket (same as the two supplied) but put it at the inside top but this would involve drilling through the tile itself. I have attached some photos. I would be grateful for any help and can supply more info if necessary. :D
View media item 57134View media item 57135View media item 57136View media item 57137View media item 57138View media item 57139View media item 57140View media item 57141

Sponsored Links
I would just go straight into the stud with wood screws, you could always put the extra bracket in the bottom corners as you already know the stud is there for the extra support

Tiled plasterboard will take cabinet weight easily, standard plugs will suffice, no special fixing required.

Sponsored Links
@ the OP, do not let this unit get too wet, IKEA bathroom furniture does not have very good resistance to damp and tends to delaminate quite easily.

Hi,you probably have it all sorted out now but these fixings have saved me loads of time and head scratching.

Could be useful for other projects in your property.

www.drylinepro.com

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back