Help - installing cast iron insert with wooden surround

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We bought our house last year and slowly refurbishing it.

We opened up the chimney breast yesterday (pictures below when I work out how to upload) which was pretty easy to do, as they just I filled the old fire back with loose bricks before actually bricking and then plastering.

We want to install a cast iron Victorian (possibly replica one) that we bought off someone, the other half replaced the fireback and replaced the bricks so it was how it was thinking that we could place the cast iron fire back up to the wall.

Now here’s the issue (and thanks if you got this far)

The hole to the cast iron insert sits up to the fire brick, but the rest of the cast iron tiled section sits about 5cm maybe more from the wall, if we embedded the cast iron insert into the wall, the wooden surround would no longer be flush and have the 5cm + gap around the insert and the putter section would go up to the wall.

Now my question is - is the cast iron insert meant to be flush in the wall? I don’t think the chimney breast would actually be deep enough to accommodate the clay (I think) fire back and the depth of the cast iron insert.

Any help will
Be appreciated and I’ll try and upload some
Picks.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Here’s the pictures of the opening.

In the second picture we place the insert up to the wall and it leaves this gap

3rd picture is the rear of the insert

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• BCFACA61-B1B6-425F-9C1F-A52375128ACA.jpeg
    BCFACA61-B1B6-425F-9C1F-A52375128ACA.jpeg
    326.2 KB · Views: 1,849
  • DFC00EFB-A9A7-48B6-9480-EA27021AD7EC.jpeg
    DFC00EFB-A9A7-48B6-9480-EA27021AD7EC.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 551
  • A4AB9005-09C0-46E8-A635-085D453F7D84.jpeg
    A4AB9005-09C0-46E8-A635-085D453F7D84.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 565
from what i can see your CI surround wont fit into the recently installed fireback.
that CI surround must be sealed tight against the chimney breast surface for a safe installation.

why not post pics of the inside of the fireback opening, and views of your CI surround from the front?

aamoi, i know you are doing your best as DIY'ers but you need a visit, and a heads up at least, from a HETAS.
there's lots of safety issues with what you are attempting - check out past posts on here for more info.

from what i can see your CI surround wont fit into the recently installed fireback.
that CI surround must be sealed tight against the chimney breast surface for a safe installation.

why not post pics of the inside of the fireback opening, and views of your CI surround from the front?

aamoi, i know you are doing your best as DIY'ers but you need a visit, and a heads up at least, from a HETAS.
there's lots of safety issues with what you are attempting - check out past posts on here for more info.

The fireback came with the CI surround as well as the wood and was previously used by the previous owner.

I attended a fire place shop who stated this design does not have to be reassessed into the wall, and has a rebate between the wall and CI surround for which sits up to the fire back and the wooden surround holds it in place. He also stated that the back doesn’t have to be filled as the cast iron gets hot expands and if sealed to tightly will crack.

How ever I will source someone who is HETAS or get building control involved to make sure it’s safe before being used.

Sponsored Links
cant quite understand what your saying so i wont go droning on except to agree with your call for a HETAS.

Here’s the pictures of the opening.

In the second picture we place the insert up to the wall and it leaves this gap

3rd picture is the rear of the insert

Thanks in advance
Hi, we have the same issue - interested in what you did. We were planning on sealing the gap with fire cement

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do not resurrect old threads. See the forum rules. ONE new thread will do.
Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back