HELP Is My House Going to Fall Down??

Sponsored Links
Are there any cracks in the first floor ceiling under the loft joists?
Which way do the loft joists span (front wall - back wall or party wall - party wall)?

How wide is the crack in the party wall?
Is the crack larger at the top or bottom?
Does it continue to upper floor wall?
Have any large trees local to the properties.. especially ones removed?
What soil is under the foundations?

Photos would help

Are there any cracks in the first floor ceiling under the loft joists?
I don't think i would be able to tell a although the ceiling joists are there the ceiling isn't - all the rooms have false ceilings.

Which way do the loft joists span (front wall - back wall or party wall - party wall)?
The joists span from front to back wall (these are the ones that would hold the ceiling). There are other joists which go from one party wall to the other.

How wide is the crack in the party wall?
It's quite difficult to say as the wall is in poor condition anyway but with the plaster on it was only a milimeter or so, with the plaster off it looks wider.

Is the crack larger at the top or bottom?
From what i can see yes.

Does it continue to upper floor wall?
Yes top to bottom of the whole party wall.

Have any large trees local to the properties.. especially ones removed?
None on my property however, nextdoor (the end terrace) has a narrow cobbled road to the side of it and directly accross are large trees which span the height of the house. None have been removed but yes i've wondered whether these have contributed to this.

What soil is under the foundations?
I honestly can't remember and would need to dig out our survey report.

Photos would help
I'd need to take some tonight when i'm home from work. Sorry if my reply is lacking technical detail, i'm absolutely clueless about building work :oops:

Right well the loft storage stuff wouldnt contribute to a crack in the party wall as the span is in a different direction.. worst would happen is the front/rear wall starts bowing out at the eaves level or the roof starts to sag..
So long as your relatives werent storing masses of books or having parties in the loft i wouldnt worry too much..

Trees sound like a fairly strong possibly cause for the crack.. but could be something else (ie burst water main etc)

If you cant get your hand in the crack then there is very very little change the house will fall down around your ears.. a couple of millimeters is nothing too major and may not even be a structural issue..

Get some photos done.. the trees at the end (long wide shot) would help..
Then figure out if your house is built on clay, chalk, peat, sand etc..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back