Help it's cold!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any ideas why my boiler turns itself off when it snows?

We have a Potterton Profile 40e most of the time it's brilliant, but when it snows (not very often in Brighton) it doesn't like it and it turns off. Had it serviced 2 years ago and it didn't do it last winter, but today it did it again.

The reset button (Can't tell whether you've done anything or not) didn't seem to work. The thermostat since it happened seems to think its 20 degrees c - it's definitely not!!

I have finally managed to get it to ignite by turning it off and then on again at the mains. Any idea what is going on? Is it overheating when it gets this cold in which case why won't the reset work even though it's stone cold?

Is it the thermostat which isn't getting it to reignite when you turn it up? and is it safe to keep relighting it by turning the electric on and off?

Sponsored Links
Is snow getting into the flue as this will stop it working. seen it before

Flue sticks out at right angles on kitchen wall about 3m from a 8m high wall. It's possible some sleety snow could blow into it but not much and I think it turned itself off after it stopped snowing today. If it is that is there anything I can do? Also just remembered I dusted the top of the thermostat this afternoon, could that have any effect?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back