Help required please! Boiler driving me crazy!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton prima F boiler which keeps igniting, lasting for about 60 secs then turning it's self off. I've still got hot water but a bloody freezing house. I have pressed the reset switch under the boiler which reignites it again but then it switches off again. All radiators are stone cold, can anybody help me at all?

Many thanks

Steph[/b]

Sponsored Links
Check and repair the pump!

Normally I would say look at the FAQs on this site but they seem to have disapeared!

Tony

Thank you Tony, where would I find the pump? :oops:

(30 year old female with no idea at all........)

I have not been invited to stay the weekend with you yet. Consequently I dont know the layout of your home.

You may find that you can find a plumber quicker.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Have found it!!!

However it is very hot so have turned everything off. No idea how to clean it though .... :LOL:

However it is very hot so have turned everything off.
Pumps can get very hot, so I wouldn't bother about that.

Turn the system back on.

Get a largish screwdriver. Hold the blade against the pump and the handle aganst your ear. You should hear the whine of the pump.

There is a switch on the pump (marked 1, 3, 4 or something). Try all three speeds and you should hear different whines.

Replace the large screw.

If you can't hear the pump, then either the pump is faulty or the electrical supply to the pump is faulty. Call a heating engineer.

You said in your first post that you have hot water but no heating. Does the problem happen all the time or only when you have the heating on by itself; i.e it does not happen if you have hot water by itself or both heating and hot water on?

However it is very hot so have turned everything off.

Pumps can get very hot, so I wouldn't bother about that.

An armchair expert does not have the advantage of a working expert.

Pumps get particularly hot if they are not turning! Thats because the water is not passing through to cool them!

The pump will be jamed and will buzz but not whine ( they dont do that anyway ) as they make a low pitched rumbling kind of noise when working.

They can often be freed up. Thats described in the disapearing FAQ.

I will report this post to the Mods so they can search for the FAQ.

It used to be in the heading of Forum Index, Forum Rules.....

Tony

The OP said:

I have a Potterton prima F boiler
As "experts", both Tony and Bengasman will know that the Prima requires a fully pumped instalation and has pump over-run.

I've still got hot water but a bloody freezing house.
How would this happen if the pump is not working?

It is not running dry, probably just stalled. A twiddle should make it go, but don't try it yourself unless you are very confident.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back