Help!! I've a hole in my bathroom ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

A hole has developed in my bathroom ceiling, due to plaster becoming wet from condensation from the shower, my flat does not have an extractor fan.

How can i patch the hole you can see in the pictures?? I don't want to rip down the rest of the ceiling, i just want to patch it us.

Any advice would be great,

Thanks
Ben

Sponsored Links
A hole has developed in my bathroom ceiling, due to plaster becoming wet from condensation from the shower, my flat does not have an extractor fan.

How can i patch the hole you can see in the pictures?? I don't want to rip down the rest of the ceiling, i just want to patch it us.

Any advice would be great,
Ben

Are you sure it's from condensation from your shower? The wood above looks messy and the damp extends quite a bit beyond the hole.
Is there a flat above you? Any chance of a plumbing leak from there?

If it were me, I'd take back a bit more plasterboard where the damp is showing, and check the extent of the dampness etc.
Like you, I woudn't want to rip down the rest of the ceiling.

Are you sure it's just condensation that's caused the damage? It looks as though there might have been water from above at one time or another. I would cut away the whole area where the mould is showing through. Cut around the area with a stanley knife, and remove all the plaster(board?), and clean out the gaps between the lath. Give the laths a good clean off, then wash it down with bleach to kill off any spores that might remain. I'd then paint over the lath with oil based paint or bitumin paint to seal it all in. When you've prepped it all, pva the whole patch area, especially the edges of the original plaster/board, then fill it up with bonding coat plaster, (half fill it, then leave it while to steady up, before bringing the patch more or less flush with the original surface of the ceiling. When it has set, finish it off with multi finish. I'd give the whole ceiling a good wash down with bleach too, before painting it with a mould resistant paint. I 'd get an extractor fan put in too, to stop similar problems in the future. There is also a good chance there might be further damage above, that you can't see, so if it's just a small area of ceiling above the shower, and i know it's a bit of extra work, but it might be worth renewing it, and blend it in with the rest of the ceiling.

Yea there is a flat above, i stay in a four in a block cottage flat.

My dad also thinks that the water has come in from above, he's advised me to rip down the ceiling, let it dry out, treat the wood, see if there is any water coming in from above and if so, claim of their insurance, ( don't really wan't to claim form them, will just cause future rifts i'd say)

He then says whilst i've the roof down i should look at putting in an extractor fan.

I was wanting to just do a small repair and not go into ripping whole ceiling down etc as i can't really afford it, but by the sounds of things i'll have to so that i can ensure i don't have nay further problems especially if the water is coming in from the flat above.

Thanks for your answers, much appreciated

Sponsored Links
My dad also thinks that the water has come in from above, he's advised me to rip down the ceiling, let it dry out, treat the wood, see if there is any water coming in from above and if so, claim of their insurance. He then says whilst i've the roof down i should look at putting in an extractor fan.
Your dad has given you very good advice, follow it. ;)

don't really wan't to claim form them, will just cause future rifts i'd say
Why on earth not :eek: they have to take responsibility if it’s their fault, your own insurance may require it & their insurance should cover it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back