Help! Kitchen circuit not working and earth wire showing as live...

Before Terry comes along to tell you what to do next, what is that cable with the browns and blue?

It appears to consist of two brown wires, one blue, and no earth.

Have I got that right?
That question was answered yesterday around 7.20 sparkwright.
Yes to your question.
I suspect it's fan supply and some one had used the CPC and sleeved it brown to use as line.
Stay tuned ....that will be clarified
later ;););)

Sponsored Links
Okay so how should they be reconnected to allow the circuit to continue? At the moment no lights are working in the utility (where this is located) or the kitchen (the room next to it)

Yes Terry there was an extractor fan in the room and cables for that are blue and brown

Is that black the switched live ??
Did you do the test with the switch ,?

Sponsored Links
Ok ,do the same testing on each of the other two black wires ,one of them must be the switched live.

Mark it ,red sleeve would be usual,or red insulation tape.
Put the other two blacks together in a wago.
Your other light/s ,kitchen etc should then come on.
On your new light fitting the switched live ( black sleeved red) goes to its live terminal.
The two other blacks are neutrals and go together in new lights neutral terminal.
The earth conductors go together in the new lights earth terminal.
The reds stay together in a wago ,and do not connect in any way to the light fittings terminals ,but can sit in its base.
This just leaves the cable to fan.
Was the fan working ,or is it redundant ?

Unfortunately this still hasn't made the kitchen lights work

The fan is redundant

Have attached picture showing current wiring with wagos following your guidance

Attachments

• IMG_20210128_180018.jpg
    IMG_20210128_180018.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 67
Have you worked on any other light fittings / switches ?
Your last pic appears to show wires loose to the right side ,and a switch hanging loose ?
Also re check that the wagos are clamping onto copper wires not their insulation.

The switch hanging loose is because I threw away the pullcoard, I just connected the switch so I could do this test to find the switch live.

The plan was to connect to that wire using wagos and a new wire to move the switch to a new location but I've left that for now.

The new lights would be 3 downlights connected to that switch. They were working yesterday but then all of a sudden it all stopped working and have been messaging on here since.

Thankfully the earth wires are now longer showing live.

I shall double check the wago connections on the wires now but they all seemed like they were fully clamped in, should the copper be quite exposed for the wagos?

Yes ,around 10 mm of copper should be stripped to go into wago.
I don't follow your last post entirely.
You told us originally that you removed a light fitting ,and all the wires shown in your pic got muddled up ,you made no mention of 3 other lights that suddenly stopped working. That a whole different kettle of fish !!
I can see loose wires hanging from ceiling to the right of those being worked on ,and another loose wire hanging down next to the temporary switch. You need to give me the full picture of what you did.

Okay apologies, so the room used to be a bathroom and we've had the wall knocked out to join the kitchen

The main bathroom light and extractor fan have been removed along with the pull cord light switch

The main light had 3 spotlights on it and a transformer I think. I didn't take a picture of how this was wired when I removed it. The kitchen lights wouldn't work after removing this.

Since removing it I had a fiddle with the wires by connecting them with wagos and managed to get the circuit back up and running, this was the first picture I sent through. I started to prepare the new downlights as previously mentioned but randomly the kitchen lights then stopped working so I stopped.

Picture of the downlights working attached.

I have since abandoned this as the kitchen lights are more important.

Attachments

• IMG_20210127_134910.jpg
    IMG_20210127_134910.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 60
Besides the light fittings in kitchen and the ones in this room ,what other lights in the property are on the same fuse or circuit breaker ??
Please re check all conductors in the wagos , particularly the three reds and the two black neutrals.

There are around 14 downlights in the kitchen.

There's 4 in the room next to the utility room.

None of these have been worked on recently and all were working fine until the light in the old bathroom / utility was removed!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back